Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching this thread, but haven't found this completely yet. Found lot's of info about replacing lines, as well as adding an aftermarket trans cooler, so if there is already a thread on this, please direct me.
The bottom drivers side of the trans cooler is wet with fluid. From closer inspection, the power steering cooler is fine, the hoses have no cracks or leaks. It appears the issue is the trans cooler itself leaking, same as if you had a bad radiator. So here's my questions.
I have found a replacement online for 120.00 (the dealer wants 320.00 just for the part. Has anyone fully replaced one of these?
My main concern lies in the fact that the A/C condenser is part of this as well. What are the pitfalls of removing those lines? Correct me if I am wrong, but the A/C system is always under pressure correct? Will everything in the system just leak out as soon as the lines are cracked and just need to be refilled? What are the other pitfalls in this change if anyone else has attempted it.

Thanks in advance. Trying to make this XK limp through another couple years, even though it's pushing 180,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im sort of confused which cooler you are refering to. Take a look at this picture and let me know which one is leaking.

Are you talking about the skinny back cooler that runs across the front or the large square one directly behind it.

As for the ac, yes it is under pressure. If you take the lines off it will leak out.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think I understand what your talking about now. The front skinny black one is the power steering cooler. The larger square one directly behind it is for both the ac and the transmission. The AC lines got into the top and the transmission lines go into the cooler about half way down. If you replace that entire cooler you would need to recharge your AC afterwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's definitely the larger one. The skinny one in front is the power steering, I traced those lines, so I am sure of that. Have you ever replaced the ac/trans cooler? Just didn't want to run into any issues that someone else may have already faced, so figured I would ask to see if anyone has tackled this yet.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I havent had to replace mine on the XK yet but I dont think it would be hard at all. I've had everything off the front of the XK several times time in the past few years to spray all the mud off of the radiator and ac condensor/tranny cooler. To the point where all I would have to do is unhook the lines and swap it right out. I would recommend getting the ac vac'd out of the system first before you pull the lines off the condensor. And when you pull the tranny lines make sure you have something under it to catch the fluid along with a couple qts of new fluid on had to refill what you lost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the tranny doesn't have a dipstick, I would likely just try to limp it to the dealer a few miles away for a top off, to make sure it's where it needs to be.
Never heard of the a/c vac? Is this something a place that could service a/c would be able to do?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Since the tranny doesn't have a dipstick, I would likely just try to limp it to the dealer a few miles away for a top off, to make sure it's where it needs to be.
Never heard of the a/c vac? Is this something a place that could service a/c would be able to do?

Oh I didnt realize you have the 3.7 liter. My 4.7 has a tranny dipstick.

As for the A/C all that means is they hook it up to a machine and it sucks all the old oil and refrigerant (freon) out. Any shop that does ac service should have this machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordering the part tonight, will tackle this next week. Will post any issues if I come across any. Thanks for the info 07JeepXK

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Not a problem. I really dont think its a hard fix honestly. What are your plans for the AC? Are you going to take it somewhere so they can vaccum out the lines?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 commander a/c condenser

Does anyone know if you get a small hole at bottom of a/c condenser and the freon is leaking out
is there anyway to just plug the hole with solder or some type of repair kit?
or do you just have to replace the entire condenser?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Transmission lines go into the upper fittings of the combination Transmission Cooler/AC Condenser, and the AC go to lower fittings. The top 1/4 of the cooler is transmission the bottom 3/4 is the AC condenser.

If you get a hole in the AC system that leaks out all the refrigerant, the only reliable way to repair it if its aluminum, which on the modern AC systems they all are, is to replace it. Keep in mind, there are many seals that could leak and just replacing the seal could be the fix. The AC system pressure can go over 300PSI, and especially the condenser and evaporator that use complex thin plates as the cooling tubes, trying to plug the hole just isn't going to work. It might have back in the day when all the parts were copper and looked like plumbing tubes, copper takes solder well, aluminum does NOT.

Vacuuming down AC is done for a very important procedure to make sure the system works properly. True, its done also to check for leaks. True, its done to comply with EPA interpretations of the law, that can fine you heavily if you don't properly recover the refrigerant in the system and NOT just release it in the air. But the biggest reason you vacuum down the AC system before adding refrigerant is to remove all air and moisture out of the system before adding the refrigerant. The system has to be hermetically sealed for it to last and continue to operate properly. The heat and pressures the system operates and exposes the refrigerant too, will combine water and oxygen and other gases in air into acids that will eat away at the system from the inside out.

You vacuum the system down for 30 minutes, true when you vacuum down the system you remove all gases, that will get the air out, but any moisture in the air that got into the system could condense and you could have liquid water in the system. At a pure vacuum liquid water will boil at 40°F and thus evaporate any water in the system and draw it out. That is why you have to vacuum down the system for 30 minutes, and then you have to introduce the new refrigerant without letting air in. i.e. you need the proper tools to do this, so its best just to take the vehicle to an AC shop and have them recharge it.

The 3.7L has the NAG1/W5A580 Transmission that does NOT come with a dipstick, just a plug that says dealer service only. A couple of options, you can get the dipstick off ebay, figure out a way to measure trans fluid temp, and then check the level yourself, you need to be precise (that is why they made it dealer service only). OR you could be careful and collect all the trans fluid that spills/drips during the job, drain out what was in the old cooler, then measure it and pour into the trans the same quantity of ATF+4 that you collected. Then drive to the dealer to check the fluid level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts