Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Overland so it came with factory navigation, boston audio and reverse camera. (But NO rear seat entertainment.) I think the head unit is junk. My portable Garmin does a better job at navigation, and my ipod does a better job at organizing music.
So I was wondering, what are potential issues with replacing it with something like the Kenwood DNX6160 (best buy has it for 1k). It has built-in Garmin system, and video inputs for backup camera, etc.
Crutchfield has a kit that's supposed to make everything work (incl. steering wheel controls).
In terms of boston audio and factory amp... would I lose any of the sound quality by going this route? Would I lose any feature in general?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I bought a used Overland so it came with factory navigation, boston audio and reverse camera. (But NO rear seat entertainment.) I think the head unit is junk. My portable Garmin does a better job at navigation, and my ipod does a better job at organizing music.
So I was wondering, what are potential issues with replacing it with something like the Kenwood DNX6160 (best buy has it for 1k). It has built-in Garmin system, and video inputs for backup camera, etc.
Crutchfield has a kit that's supposed to make everything work (incl. steering wheel controls).
In terms of boston audio and factory amp... would I lose any of the sound quality by going this route? Would I lose any feature in general?
One thing you need to be concerned with is the fact that the BA amp is a 6 channel amp. Crutchfield understands this and will give you the appropriate connectors. My experience with Best Buy is that they don't understand how the BA amp works, at least at my local stores. If they understand it, and have an appropriate connector, you should be OK. The BA speakers are 2ohm, so make sure your head unit is rated for them. Otherwise, you might consider swapping your speakers. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hey Greg, I have a Kenwood system. Its a KVT 617 with integrated Garmin KNA G510 GPS. I bought it from Crutchfield somewhere around 2005 and had it in my Grand Cherokee before getting the Commander. Crutchfield is the way to go. They are very knowledgeable and competitive in their pricing. I didnt have the Boston system to begin with, so I cant comment on that. This system sounds great with the factory amp and speakers. I have multiple A/V inputs ( I use one for my IPOD ) , outputs for a rear camera and for additional screen, and TV tuner input. I have had zero issues with the system. The install is somewhat time consuming because there are a lot of cables to run with the TV antennae and the GPS antennae running all the way to the rear. I did the install myself as it was Christmas time and they were on a 3 week wait for install and it was gonna cost $300. I recommend the Kenwood products and especially Crutchfield for any electronic equipment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts