Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fog lights have filled with condensation and water. I want to replace the who assembly so that they will not have that ugly foggy look. If I order replacement assemblies, will I be able to do it myself. I have seem some sources saying that you have to take the whole front bumper off. Is this true? What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You do not have to remove the bumper to take out the assembly. Go underneath and twist the bulb harness a quarter turn to remove that. Sometimes the o-ring that seals out moisture is bad. Try replacing the o-ring first, or smearing a light layer of gasket make(silicone) on it and reinstall, then wipe out the moisture from the housing. I think the light ssembly disconnected in the rear also. Theres an adjustment screw up front, be careful there. I can go underneath later and get back to you if you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what is the best way to go about replacing the whole assembly. Not just taking out the bulbs? I am thinking about replacing them with some after market fog lights.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Twist the bulb socket out from underneath. There is a locking tab there holding the light assembly in place, loosen that and the plastic housing comes out from the front of the bumper. I bought yellow bulbs, had to order them onlin. The local car store doesn't carry yellow, and they burnt out in a couple months. I ended up putting the original bulbs back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Glad to help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you considered putting the Sylvania Silverstars in the fog light assembly?

·
Registered
556 Posts
no. but will look into them when the stock bulbs burn out

·
Registered
101 Posts
dcross15,

What did you end up going with for replacing the OEM?

·
Registered
101 Posts
<crickets>

·
Registered
101 Posts
@luckyse7ens, just gathering information on what people are doing.

Mine lenses are cracked and glazed. Looking to find something better than just replacing the lenses with new OEMs. Favoring a swap out for same diameter LED driving or floods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
http://www.carid.com/2007-jeep-commander-fog-lights/spyder-halo-projector-fog-lights-26117317.html
Installed these on mine, might need new bulbs but i just use the halos becase they look good at night. Easy install but mine did not have fog light in. Just opened up the compartment in the wheel well and use bolts and wingnuts to hold them in. A little struggle but simple, wiring harness was short so i just sodded an extension wire which took less than a minute. Used a switch of my own which I bought at radio shack and whole thing came out looking good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you have stock foglights so you probably will not even need to use the wiring harness or switches because it also comes with a converter to use the same wiring as your old fog lights

1 - 16 of 16 Posts