Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace all the bulbs in the interior but find it really hard to remove the clear caps on all 4 overhead handles and the one behind the 2nd row ceiling. Please advise., thanks!!!

I wanted to replace all the bulbs in the interior but find it really hard to remove the clear caps on all 4 overhead handles and the one behind the 2nd row ceiling. Please advise., thanks!!!

was a pain to do but I managed to take the whole housing off....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced them with white LED bulbs. I was just bored today and wanted to do something quick to the car. Unfortunately the whole project took me 3 hours to do. I ended up removing the handles from the 2nd row in order to pry the plastic cap off. As for the front lights I just took a flathead and snapped it off pretty quickly. It looks pretty sick...i'm uploading the pics right now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the finished product

1st row/2nd row map light - Xtec 6LED white #168 (qty 4)
3rd row dome - Xtec 12LED white # T10 (qty 1)
1st row floor - Xtec 1LED white #168 (qty 2)
Rear hatch - Xtec 1LED white #168 (qty 1)
license plate - Xtec 6LED white #168 (qty 2)

I only chose a 1LED for the 1st row floor and rear hatch because there will always be a low current at those 3 places and I figure a 6LED might drain the battery. I could be wrong...i'm no electrician.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unfortunately I didn't get polarized sunglasses :( LOL if you want to get these bulbs you can go to vexmotorsports.com in San Jose, call them up and ask for Phong. I don't think you can order them online. I only buy the Xtec bulbs because I have been using them for my other cars. Other brands might be easier to get and perform exactly the same (maybe some color variance). PIAA and Nokya bulbs are nice but they cost an arm and a leg. PM me if you need help ordering them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
First off, very nice job. The lights look great! I am actually attempting to do the same mod and have purchased the same type LEDs you used. The plastic housings have been easy to remove but I do have 2 problems. 1) The 4 lights above the doors have a metal reflector covering the light. Any idea on how to safely remove it (tried to carefully pull it out but wouldn't budge. 2) I purchased a 12 LED bulb for the dome light behind the 2nd row (similar to this one here). Do I need one specially made for dome lights (like this one here) or is there a way to install the type that I already have? Thanks and hopefully, when I get this fixed, I will post pics of the car with the mods I have done thus far :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Those look great! I am going to have to look into some for myself!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
How much did the set cost you?

·
Registered
204 Posts
First off, very nice job. The lights look great! I am actually attempting to do the same mod and have purchased the same type LEDs you used. The plastic housings have been easy to remove but I do have 2 problems. 1) The 4 lights above the doors have a metal reflector covering the light. Any idea on how to safely remove it (tried to carefully pull it out but wouldn't budge. 2) I purchased a 12 LED bulb for the dome light behind the 2nd row (similar to this one
here). Do I need one specially made for dome lights (like this one
here) or is there a way to install the type that I already have? Thanks and hopefully, when I get this fixed, I will post pics of the car with the mods I have done thus far :)
Alright, I finally managed to figure out how to take those stupid metal reflectors off the front two lights. Installed the lights in the front two seats and back two seats but still haven't found a solution to the dome light problem.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would not have thought it was something I would like, but I did. Nice mod.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The metal reflector needs to be pulled off by force. It may bend or crack but there is no other way. Besides, the LEDS shine nicer without them being reinstalled. I tried to put them back on but it made the LEDS look dull. As for the dome lights you would need the second one (longer, oval shaped one), and not the plug in type. Good luck man, msg me if you need to ask other questions. :) post some pics too!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they cost about $70 for everything. I also did the license plate bulbs too...I recommend a 12 or 16 LED for that European or Lexus look. i only got the 6LED for it, which is fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
nice job!! I ordered all of my LED's on Monday and looking forward to the install.. Great pics!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have fun installing them! The effort is worth definitely worth it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
OK, finally installed all of my blue LED interior lights. The trunk light, for anyone that is interested, is a pain in the a$$. Does anyone know how to snap the plastic housing back on? I battled to get the light in for close to an hour and then could not figure out why the cap does not snap back in. I have tried everything but it just won't hold. Thanks, and once I get the cap in, pics will be posted :)

1 - 20 of 161 Posts