Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long store short was helping friends from their house that was flooding here in northwest indiana and went through water that I thought was 1 foot but was wrong and it was to my factory wheel height on my 07 commander with the standard chrome wheels and it was dead in the water. Wont start so go some people to help push out to dry land and it wont start. It says the 4x4 system is disengaged. As anyone seen this and what the heck can I do. It has power but wont turn over at all just clicks. Please help if possible its next to the brigde we got stopped in. Again its on the side where dry land is but dont want to leave it there all night. Is there a fuse I can pull or what. I dont think if I got it to a jeep dealer they would fix it under warranty. Or what could I say. Was driving it and got flooded. Help me out guys cause Im already close to losing it.

JRod

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Check your dip stick to see if it looks normal or foamy, if normal then you most likely did not suck water. May be just wet electronics and starter and you need to let it dry out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no water in oil at all. the engine bay dry as a plum. I think the starter is out or water got on the connections. It wont turn over just clicks thats all. All inside electronics works. Radio, navi, lights etc.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Try tapping the starter with anything you can find (hammer, screwdriver, ect.) it may need a pretty good hit if it is stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Did it stall out in the water? If so it may be hydro-locked then you are in for a little bit of work to get going.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it did stall in the water

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You may need to pull the plugs but check your air filter first. Make sure your air filter is dry. If it is wet then you will need to pull the spark plugs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
air filter is dry and no water got in the engine bay

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If tapping the starter does not work you may need to let it dry. How long has it been since it was in the water?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
does it make a single click or a repeating click sound?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4 hrs ago ...........

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
at 1st 1 click thenb after a few clicks then try to jump it and a click and hum

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think he is looking to get his commander out of harm for tonight. I think the area he is in is one that has seen massive flooding.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
are you still seeing the message about the 4wd system?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry I was on the phone trying to get a toll truck but with all the water issues in the area its going to take a while.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not by the jeep now but the last time I try it said the 4x4 thing. Ive been home for bout a hour and trying to get some info from anyone on the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You could try to turn the ignition to "ON" shift the transmission into nuetral and then try shifting it into 4 low to see if it would remove the message. There may be a safety that will not allow the engine to start if the t-case is in nuetral. I know the QTII system has a small button to push to put the t-case in nuetral i'm not sure if the QD system has it or not. If that does not work then I think it is a starter/electrical issue. As long as the starter isn't totally shot you can ususally hit it to get it working. It usually works best if someone is trying to start as you are hitting it but be extemely careful. Other than that it may need to dry out or be replaced.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts