Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing my oil cooler lines and trans filters and gasket tonight and I was wondering if anybody had any directions or good illustrations on changing the oil cooler lines? One end of the lines look like they "plug" in is there a certain way to unplug the existing lines?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Whats the reasoning behind wanting to change your oil cooler lines?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whats the reasoning behind wanting to change your oil cooler lines?

They are leaking. The lines are the types with the crimped ends, and they start leaking after a number of years. I have an s10 with the same problem, and they have been leaking for 40k miles. I could care less about that s10 tho.

They leak, I am not worried about them breaking, but it is my wifes vehicle and I don't need it leaking oil all over the place.

I need info on how to change them, and where to get the replacement lines.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, the lines are easy to see and access. They run to the front from the oil filter area to the radiator.

When I was first shopping for a commander, I looked at another hemi one with almost 100k miles on it. It was also leaking from these lines, so I would think that this is probably a common problem with commanders. I don't know if it is specific to hemi's, but it might be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey SkinnyR,
I'm going thru the same leaky line issues on my wifes Commander (but her trans lines). I haven't done it yet but I plan to simply grind that crimp off and use 2 hose clamps per end. That's one way of fixing it. My bro-in-law removed his completely (different brand car) and brought the entire assembly to a hydraulic hose repair shop that did "while you wait" service. That cost more than some worm-style hose clamps. ;-)
Here is some visuals on how you can fix the leaks yourself if you so choose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey SkinnyR,
I'm going thru the same leaky line issues on my wifes Commander (but her trans lines). I haven't done it yet but I plan to simply grind that crimp off and use 2 hose clamps per end. That's one way of fixing it. My bro-in-law removed his completely (different brand car) and brought the entire assembly to a hydraulic hose repair shop that did "while you wait" service. That cost more than some worm-style hose clamps. ;-)
That is a great fix right there! Thanks for the info, thats how i am going to do it. For some reason, I can't see all of the pics in that thread, but I have the general idea.

thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey SkinnyR,
I hate to bring up an old thread but I have some lines on mine that are leaking something fierce. The lines look like they could be these but the oil looks and smells like engine oil. I have not pulled the shield off yet but the like run to the passenger side of the radiator then under the alternator at that point I am not sure where they go from there. I have a 5.7 HEMI with factory tow package in my commander. Does this sound like the right location for Trans Cooler Lines? Or is this something else? From what I can see they are definitely swagged like the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts