Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my rotors tomorrow on my 08 Commander. Just have a few questions.
On the front do you have to remove the caliper bracket when removing the rotor?
On the rear do you have to remove any brake emergency cables in order to slide off the rotor?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the caliper bracket up front and no to the rear cables. the parking brabe pads are inside the rear rotors so you may have to loosen the brake cable...i pulled the pads right off removing mine one time and had to replace them.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Don't forget there is a little rubber O-Ring over the hub to hold the rotor on, it is only for the assembly line. So up to you after you remove it, if you want to put it back on. Its a bit of a pain to pry it up and get it out of the groove, but NOT much. 6 of one a half dozen of another, throw it away and not worry about prying it up and getting it out next time, or put it back on and keep the rotor from tilting and shifting as you put the pads/brackets and calipers on again (which you can do with a lug nut anyway).

You can actually leave the caliper on the bracket and remove the bracket as an entire assembly, provided your NOT changing pads.

If your putting on new rotors, I would put new pads on as well. Old pads could start uneven wear on the new rotors, at least sand the old pads flat.

When you replace the pads, you're suppose to replace the metal inserts on the brackets/guides that the pads ride on. Good quality pads will include those metal inserts as part of kit with the pads.

The rotor will corrode/rust on the unswept portions, the rust raises the surface of the metal. Not to mention the pads/shoes wear a groove into the swept portion of the metal, that interfere with sliding the pads off the rotors, pulling the rotor off the e-brake drum shoes.

The Commander, the pads on the front ride in the brackets, so you just pull the calipers off the pads. BUT, the pads have pins/bumps extending from their back that interfere with just sliding the caliper off, so the same concept applies of loosing up the caliper.

You can put a big screw driver or pry bar into the open of the calipers and pry against the rotor to push the piston back in a bit and open up the pads for enough room to slide the rotor off. You can use a c-clamp to compress the pistons the whole way.

The e-brake, has a tiny drum in the inner cylinder portion of the rear rotors. The back cover has a rubber plug you can pry out and get access to the star wheel that adjusts the pads, you just have back off the pads a couple of teeth on the star wheel and that should give you room to clear any rust on the lip of the drum or any groove that has worn into the drum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts