Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know in the past, forum members have asked if the front cowl panel windshield seal can be replaced, since almost all XK's are either missing it altogether, or, it's in the process of coming apart, piece by piece, like mine was. I took a shot in the dark a while back (about a year or so ago) and ordered an entire new front cowl panel, hoping that the front windshield seal came with it (it doesn't specify when you order the front cowl panel, if the front windshield seal comes with it or not).

Fortunately, the new front cowl panel did come with a brand new front windshield seal, already in place and the entire assembly was fairly easy to replace; This is the part number for the front cowl panel;

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Tools needed are as follows;

A 13MM socket to take off the windshield wipers;

An interior rivet/button/push pin puller or a common screw driver to pull off the caps that are covering the bolts holding the windshield wiper arms in place;

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is my old front cowl cover and you can see where the front window seal was pealing apart piece by piece;

Once you get the windshield wipers off, there are only 5 push tabs hold the front cowl in place and you can pull it free with a little effort, no tools are needed for this part of the job, just your hands; Of course, one of the push tabs broke off when I was removing the old cowl, but, the broken tab was removed easily enough;

I took some pics of the old cowl, after I took it off, so you have an idea of where the push tabs are located;

The last push tab which broke off;

Broken push tab still lodged in place;

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The whole job took me about an hour & a half from start to finish - only because I really took my time and thoroughly cleaned the windshield wiper motor/bay area that was now exposed, after removing the front cowl panel, making sure I removed all the leaves & cleaned the 12 yrs worth of crud out of there.

I've had this brand new front cowl for about a year or so now; I'm glad I finally took the time to replace it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very nice post! Looks great!

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very nice post! Looks great!
Thanks @tankman67;

I know this has been brought up quite a few times in the past and I've never seen a thread documenting the actual replacement of the front cowl panel, so hopefully, this will answer some questions and help others in the future.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
75 Posts
I know in the past, forum members have asked if the front cowl panel windshield seal can be replaced, since almost all XK's are either missing it altogether, or, it's in the process of coming apart, piece by piece, like mine was. I took a shot in the dark a while back (about a year or so ago) and ordered an entire new front cowl panel, hoping that the front windshield seal came with it (it doesn't specify when you order the front cowl panel, if the front windshield seal comes with it or not).

Fortunately, the new front cowl panel did come with a brand new front windshield seal, already in place and the entire assembly was fairly easy to replace; This is the part number for the front cowl panel;

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm looking to do the same. Part AE has been superceded by part AD.
Available at moparfactoryparts.com for $46. Thanks for the pictorial, I was afraid I'd have to pull the glass.
P.S. they want $391.00 to ship to WY. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had the same problem when I tried to order the window run seals. I found a dealer that was about forty miles from me who was part of the Mopar Direct Network. They may all be so you order from them and pick it up. I am still looking for the front left and rear right seals if anyone knows a source. One thing to keep in mind is the parts specific to our XK's are being discontinued.

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I realize this is an older thread, but I'm looking to do the same. Part AE has been superceded by part AD.
Available at moparfactoryparts.com for $46. Thanks for the pictorial, I was afraid I'd have to pull the glass.
P.S. they want $391.00 to ship to WY. Ridiculous!
No proiblem @jklightner ;

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did you use to get the caps off of the wiper nuts?
An interior rivet/button/push pin puller or a common screw driver to pull off the caps that are covering the bolts holding the windshield wiper arms in place;

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
75 Posts
Your prediction about part availability was spot on.
Can't find a NOS cowl in North America.
Junkyard ones are worse than mine.
Guess I'll have to McGiver something.
Did you ever find a rubber piece close to the shape?

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your prediction about part availability was spot on.
Can't find a NOS cowl in North America.
Junkyard ones are worse than mine.
Guess I'll have to McGiver something.
Did you ever find a rubber piece close to the shape?
If you referring to the rubber piece on the inside of the Front Cowel Panel that runs along the windshield, the new front cowel panel came with that rubber seal attached;

You might want to check e-bay motors if you haven't done so already.

They seem to have quite a few hard to find parts for XKs, even if some of them are pre-owned.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
75 Posts
If you referring to the rubber piece on the inside of the Front Cowel Panel that runs along the windshield, the new front cowel panel came with that rubber seal attached;

You might want to check e-bay motors if you haven't done so already.

They seem to have quite a few hard to find parts for XKs, even if some of them are pre-owned.
The junkyard ones are worse than mine. There is a place back east, I think it was in Virginia, who had a bunch, but wouldn't send a pic of the actual one you'd be buying, so you couldn't tell condition. You get what they send you. Another said the rubber was good, but the flat part that goes against the windshield was completely gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts