Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any new updates on this front? I have heard that it is now possible.

Anyone know how complex it is? What parts are needed to adapt the radio to bus configuration?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wait a second, why does Milous first post in that thread make it look like it is 1.5 DIN instead of a Dual DIN? Please don't tell me Chrysler is stupid enough to go to a 1.5 DIN on their navigation system when a Dual DIN is more standard. That is just a waste of available space.

Looking at the comparison photos in this thread it appears that they indeed went with a 1.5 DIN unit. The person who made this decision needs to be b*tch slapped HARD. They could have made the navigation screen that much larger if they had just went with a standard sized unit instead of the Chrysler/GM 1.5 DIN size.

·
Registered
717 Posts
YB Normyl said:
I'm not really up on audio/video systems, can someone explain the 1.5 and Dual Din?
It refers to the size of the radio headunit...This ‘DIN’ radio body style is rectangular (2” high x 7” wide)
which can be adapted to virtually every vehicle produced today. One offshoot of this body style called the Double ‘DIN’ radio body
style (4” high x 7” wide) is designed to fit certain auto makers radio dash openings which use a larger radio or a combination of radio
above a pocket or tray.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
YB Normyl said:
I'm not really up on audio/video systems, can someone explain the 1.5 and Dual Din?
DIN is about 2" tall (majority of aftermarket radio's are this size)
Dual DIN is about 4" tall (majority of aftermarket navigation systems are this size, as is the REC system used in the 2006 & 2007 Commanders).
Then there is a so-called 1.5 DIN which is used extensively by Chrysler and GM. GM has started to move away from this format in more recent years and have started (SMARTLY) going to the Dual DIN setup.
Chrysler engineers for some reason, had the new RER unit made as a 1.5 DIN unit. They need to be slapped. There is room for the DUAL DIN and should be utilized to make the navigation screen bigger.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree...look at the new Acura TLs, that screen is pretty big.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
YB Normyl said:
Thanks for the explanations guys! I agree, the DUAL DIN is the way to go, I'm guessing they went with the 1.5 DIN unit so it would fit most of their vehicles.
Most of their new vehicles are capable of fitting the DUAL DIN. Heck even older vehicles like my Cherokee can be modified to fit a DUAL DIN in there (a project I may be undertaking soon).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts