Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I get any sound and performance if I remove the resonater? Can't afford a catback yet!

·
Banned
389 Posts
Its gonna be just for sound really. You will gain no performance. The idle sound will sound almost stock, you won't notice a more aggressive exhaust note until you get above 3K rpms, then the resonator removal helps your exhaust roar a bit more.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I wouldn't take the resonator off with the 5.7L....

From the research ive done, with these motors you want to leave the resonator ON and just replace the muffler or else you'll get some horrible drone when MDS kicks in.

Let me know what you end up doing though, i'd love to hear it

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
And for what it's worth, I took the resonator off my 08 GMC Sierra that had the 6.2L... it sounded GREAT even at idle. Backing into my spot at the Englishtown truck show everyone was asking me when I put the exhaust on :rofl:

·
Banned
389 Posts
I took the resonator off my XK and installed a nice looking Gibson stainless tip and that was actually the first mod. I done. I wanted to delete the resonator before changing the muffler as a test to see if I can get a bit better exhaust note and not start cobbling up the whole exhaust on a vehicle with less than 24K mi. Since I like the way my 4.7 sounds (especially when I nail the gas), I will ride around with my stock muffler until I can justify replacing it with something better. I will likely put a 50 series Flowmaster on it in a couple years after I get more miles on it, but for now, seems wasteful to take off the stock muffler when I am happy with the sound I get with the resonator delete and all the extra power I've gotten with all the bolt ons I've done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I removed the factory resonator and replaced it with a PaceSetter resonated tip and I do not have a DRONE, however when I replaced the muffler on my Durango I did not replace the resonator and I got the DRONE that is talked about. It really isn't that bad of a sound it kinda sounded like a helicopter. My wife wants me to put the same muffler on the Commander. I would suggest that if you want to try it ask the muffler shop if they will let you keep it after it is removed and drive around for a few days and if the sound is there and you are unhappy with it will they put the resonator back on for you for free. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts