Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a post about removing some of the restriction in the stock airbox. Does anyone have a link? I tried searching, but cannot find it. I think it involved removing part of a plastic shroud. Does it ring a bell to anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
Are you talking about the "plenum" inside the part right by the throttle body? I remember reading that someone had sealed off the holes that help quiet the intake, but don't remember who it was.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
There is a rubber flap on the outside of the radiator housing, behind the grill. It is hooked on the end of the tube running to the air box. I believe it is supposed to keep water out of the air box. I removed mine - it makes it more of a "ram air". The aFe CAI that I installed actually used the lower half of the stock box, so this made it even better. Any water coming in would be under the stock air filter, so I was not worried about removing the flap. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds right. I just bought a Magnaflow catback system for $290 shippted on amazon. I had got credit for $220 dollars for my used textbooks (I love that college paid for some of my exhaust). Just have to wait for it to get here. Then I will look at getting a CAI to hopefully make it even flow better.

I am thinking about removing the piece that you are talking about to hopefully tie me over until I buy an intake.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a rubber flap on the outside of the radiator housing, behind the grill. It is hooked on the end of the tube running to the air box. I believe it is supposed to keep water out of the air box. I removed mine - it makes it more of a "ram air". The aFe CAI that I installed actually used the lower half of the stock box, so this made it even better. Any water coming in would be under the stock air filter, so I was not worried about removing the flap. :eek:rangehat:
Is it an AFE stage 2 intake? I think I this sounds like it would work great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That sounds right. I just bought a Magnaflow catback system for $290 shippted on amazon. I had got credit for $220 dollars for my used textbooks (I love that college paid for some of my exhaust). Just have to wait for it to get here. Then I will look at getting a CAI to hopefully make it even flow better.

I am thinking about removing the piece that you are talking about to hopefully tie me over until I buy an intake.

Thanks for the info.
Can you post the link to Amazon / Magnaflow Catback for $290.00. I can't find it at that price.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post the link to Amazon / Magnaflow Catback for $290.00. I can't find it at that price.

Thanks
That is how much I had to pay after my textbook credit. I sold some school books back to amazon and they gave my $220 dollars for the books.

290+220= Magnaflow:)

Sorry if I got your hopes up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts