Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a source in Jeep, rumor has it that the Commander just might return.

Anyone else hear anything?

Thanks,:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
417 Posts
From about 4 months ago:

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler, has reportedly just announced his plans to bring an old American nameplate back to life. According to Automotive News, in two years time, Jeep will roll out a seven-seat SUV and its badge will read: Grand Wagoneer. According to Marchionne, it will be an upscale, seven-seat sport utility vehicle built on the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer is slated to make its first appearance in January 2013, though whether that will be in conceptual or production form, we're not yet sure.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The latest issue of Automobile has a rendering of the Grand Wagoneer - imagine a longer GC with an upright Commander grill and tail lamps! I think they should give it distinctive sheetmetal, unless their idea is more like the Tahoe/Suburban, which I think would be a mistake. In side profile, the Durango looks too much like the GC. :eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
The latest issue of Automobile has a rendering of the Grand Wagoneer - imagine a longer GC with an upright Commander grill and tail lamps! I think they should give it distinctive sheetmetal, unless their idea is more like the Tahoe/Suburban, which I think would be a mistake. In side profile, the Durango looks too much like the GC. :eek:rangehat:
any chance you could post a pic of the sketch? I looked on Automobile's online edition and the Grand Wagoneer sketch isn't in there. I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
any chance you could post a pic of the sketch? I looked on Automobile's online edition and the Grand Wagoneer sketch isn't in there. I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I hope Jeep brings back the Commander because I don't think they are planning on doing a proper Grand Wagoneer if the plan is just to modify sheet metal and fitting it on top of the Durango chassis. Why doesn't Chrysler use the Aspen chassis for a 7 pax Jeep vehicle? I believe it's longer/wider than the current Durango.
1. Jeep will probably stay away from the Commander name because it is a recent slow seller ( a loser in their opinion). Grand Wagoneer conjurs up memories of the family outdoor trip from the old days.

2. It would make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE for them to make an all new chassis when the Durango and GC already share one and the Durango is a 7 seater already. The Aspen/old Durango have not been made for a few years now and it's not coming back. It was an overweight, bloated mess and a styling nightmare in my opinion anyway.

Here's what the Grand Wagoneer will be based on comon sense and economincs: It will be a Jeep body on a Durango (7-seater chassis). It will have IRS and an available V-8. it will be upmarket in its luxury offerings.

The only real question is what it will look like - everything else is pretty much pre-determined.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I rather liked the Durango. I traded in my 2000 for the Commander. I did look and/or test drive a new Durango before buying the XK, but I just couldn't get past that stupid looking bulbous front end. I also test drove a Wranger Unlimited a couple of times, and actually made a pro/con list between the Commander and Wrangler.

If Jeep really does build a Grand Cherokee like the picture Jeep5253 posted, that would be fantastic!!

As for the chassis, I suppose the Durango's undercarriage would work. I always thought the Aspen was a cheap version of the Durango, but I don't know about the chassis differences.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I think it is an awesome idea. I bought the commander because it was bigger than my 2003 GC. My concern is that they will dilute the Jeep name. Already, the GC removed the ELSD in the front for QDII. Also, I think one of problems with the commander is that they gave it the 3.7 as stock which many lambasted as underpowered. I hope they give other options including the diesel rather than putting a smaller engine with 5+K body that gives nominal improvement in MPG.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Sorry, I pitched the magazine. Imagine the GC stretched in the rear doors and the area behing the rear wheels, with the same headlights, but a more upright grill, and stacked tail lights, with back-up in the middle. It appears someone just air-brushed a picture of the new GC. What I saw did not resemble what jeep5253 posted, although I like his version better. :eek:rangehat:

·
1,993 Posts
Jeep will mess this up as usual. It's becoming clear that all there off road thought and planing will just be focused on the wrangler line. Although even watered down the Jeep SUV's are the most capable ones you can purchase still. But I think the days of turning a jeep SUV into a trail vehicle are over.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
1. Jeep will probably stay away from the Commander name because it is a recent slow seller ( a loser in their opinion). Grand Wagoneer conjurs up memories of the family outdoor trip from the old days.

2. It would make ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE for them to make an all new chassis when the Durango and GC already share one and the Durango is a 7 seater already. The Aspen/old Durango have not been made for a few years now and it's not coming back. It was an overweight, bloated mess and a styling nightmare in my opinion anyway.

Here's what the Grand Wagoneer will be based on comon sense and economincs: It will be a Jeep body on a Durango (7-seater chassis). It will have IRS and an available V-8. it will be upmarket in its luxury offerings.

The only real question is what it will look like - everything else is pretty much pre-determined.
You're right, and knowing what you say is likely what will come about burns my hide. Once again, the bean-counters (only criticizing evil, soulless bean-counters here) are going to get their way and foist some half-baked POS on us all the while relying on our Jeep loyalty and a new generation of soccer moms to keep the whole thing financially viable.

I hope that the merger with Fiat ill infuse Jeep with the same passion that Fiat engineers had when they designed the 500. I'm not forgetting the new GC - it's a great Jeep - but is it iconic in the way the Grand Wagoneer and Wrangler are? That's what I hope Jeep engineers come up with: a Jeep that's an icon.

Lately, it seems that rooting for Jeep is a lot like rooting for the Cubs: there's always the next model year. Sigh...

·
Registered
417 Posts
On the plus side - height adjustable suspension

On the minus side - 4 wheel independent suspension

Time to start saving up for the Wrangler HEMI

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
On the plus side - height adjustable suspension

On the minus side - 4 wheel independent suspension

Time to start saving up for the Wrangler HEMI
Diesel! Wrangler diesel, if Jeep removes it's head from it's fundament and LISTENS to the people who buy their stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts