Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I reuse my dash to install a double din radio. I took the dash off, and noticed that there the plastic part is just melted on, but can be removed! I have the original din and a half radio. Please let it be good news, I don't want to buy a double din dash.:bowdown:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Can I reuse my dash to install a double din radio. I took the dash off, and noticed that there the plastic part is just melted on, but can be removed! I have the original din and a half radio. Please let it be good news, I don't want to buy a double din dash.:bowdown:
I just got done installing my double DIN from the stock 1.5 DIN. Heres the link. DVD Install

It required a lot of trimming and is fairly tricky with a dremel because of the curves in the dash. I used a scosche double DIN adapter for securing the unit but the screw holes were fairly tricky to line up where they were stock. (my unit was thinner and a little longer than the stock radio). It worked out but if you want to keep a completely stock look to your dash with no exterior trim kit you gotta be careful and take a lot of time with it. so short answer yes you can, long its a pain in the ass depending on your new radio/cd unit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
what DIN is that model? mine is much smaller and is marketed as 2 DIN

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would say, get the doble din bezel and the metra dash kit and be over with.

That is what I did, here is what it looks like.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How much did you pick those up for? iv seen them quoted around 80-150

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got it from the stealer for $105 I think.

Also, for those that want to cut the single din I would use a orbital jig saw with a metal blade, going very slow, and when you cut, try to leave just a bit extra to have room for sanding the edge. Also if you want to give it that round edge, then you can use a dremell with a mini router bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah my budget was at 450 and i barely squeezed by, that would have put me over 550 :( future option maybe or ill rig one up

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts