Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I could be wrong, but everything I've seen, the domestic auto makers set their top speed limiter based on the speed rating the tires the vehicle was equipped with OEM. Rev limiters are often a few hundred RPM past what is marked as redline on the Tach.

Sorry, more of guess based off what appears to be guidelines the manufacturer uses.

With the Commander's shape/frontal area/height, I'm betting Aerodynamic Drag is the critical factor even with the HEMI, my guess you'll never reach the speed limiter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
any info available on rev limiter/top speed limiter on the hemi commander?
For the 4.7L the stock rev limiter is 4,000 RPM in P/N and 5,800 RPM in Drive.
The vehicle speed limiter is calibrated to 110 MPH.

Probably similar for Hemi. The max vehicle speed calibration is tire rating dependent.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
That is a new thing I forgot to mention, but they do set a different rev limit for when the engine can rev unloaded now. 4k rpm is the typical figure for all engines. NOT sure why, other than safety since you'd never need to rev the motor close to those rpm when unloaded. Safety as in accidental dropping the shifter in gear, etc. It could even be emissions, reving the motor unloaded really creates a lot of smog.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You can adjust them with most tuners. Not sure why anyone would ever want to raise the speed limiter though. I actually set my rev limit @ -500.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm running the hemi and I can run about 5800 rpm loaded, 4000 rpm in neutral or park. I do have a top speed limiter at 112 mph, though from my single experience taking it up to that speed, it's pretty unnerving to go that fast in a Commander.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts