Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Commander. Got my first major nick in it (it already has a couple dings <G>).

I was backing into a parking space in a hotel garage. I thought I had everything cleared. I was watching the back door handle from the mirror while backing close to a garage support column. Well, the wheel well fenders/flares, stick out just a little bit futher then the door handle. So I transferred some paint from the support column to my Jeep.

I wax it with Nanowax (in case it makes a difference).

What is the recommended method of getting rid of this transferred paint (looks like latex paint) without damaging the clear coat?

I expect that some of the clear coat was scraped off, but, for the most part, this transferred paint is on really smooth. So I don't expect too much damage to the wheel well fenders/flares.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Products like scratch x will work fine in removing transfered paint.
As you obseved,looks like latex, and you are likely correct.
When using the remover, be gentile and let the product do the work
If you put too much pressure on the area you're polishing you will start to remove clearcoat. Once you have the transfered paint removed you'll likely notice your clear is slightly dulled. Polish with a cleaner wax, like Meguires, to restore the sheen, and follow up with your nanowax.
I think you'll be fine on this one based on your description
................Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts