Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my annual fishing trip on the Northwest Pacific Coast (La Push and West Port.)

My boat/trailer combination weighs a little than 4000 lbs. In addition, 3 guys and gear were around 1000 lbs. My Jeep Commander has the 4.7 L engine.

Total mileage on the trip was 607 and total fuel used was 49.63 gallons which works out to 12.2 MPG. The on-board trip computer showed around the same mileage.

I ran the entire trip in the "Tow Mode" which means no 5th gear. After around 150 miles, I went "manual" and limited the high gear operation to 3rd gear. From what I can tell, I didn't see any mileage difference or very little between 3rd gear only and tow mode that allows limited 4th gear operation if the road is flat. I limited speed to 60 MPH for mileage and safety.

My trip mileage was about 2 MPG better than with my former Durango equipped with the 5.9 L engine.

I had no problems with the tow and am very happy with the towing performance of my Commander.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I want to get a travel trailer. I have the 4.7 also.
I wouldnt use the tow / haul option if I was on a very flat freeway.
Of course also being at a steady speed too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rooney2oons said:
I want to get a travel trailer. I have the 4.7 also.
I wouldnt use the tow / haul option if I was on a very flat freeway.
Of course also being at a steady speed too.
I should have stated that my 19' boat (Grady-White) has a small front profile. Certainly, a flat/tall travel trailer would have a lot more drag.

As to the "Tow Mode", I doubt you can even get a Commander equipped with a 4.7 L engine into 5th gear overdrive except for down hill operation.

The Commander manual recommends restricting transmission operation to 3rd gear IF there is frequent transmission shifting between 3rd and 4th gear. Apparently, frequent shifting can over heat the transmission. From my observation, there is almost no mileage difference between operation in 3rd gear and 4th gear which surprised me a lot! If the former is true, why bother using the higher gears when towing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have the 4.7 and haul no more than you and am very pleased so far w/ the 4.7L performance. I considered the Hemi but after test driving I changed my mind because the gas mileage I got was far worse than what some have posted here for their Hemi's. Though, if I needed to haul much more weight I would have definitely picked the Hemi for its increased towing capacity.

XKPearl

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I ever get my travel trailer, a tranny cooler will be installed also.
I have done a lot of research on the travel trailers, I know that a tranny cooler is a must.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I dont think so. It is an optional item based on the weight of the item you decide to tow. The place we bought our last pop up from explained it all to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts