Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a 4,000 mile road trip through Europe in the Commander!!!

The car performed really well for most of the time, as you'll know its a diesel and it didnt even seem to worry when i put some unleaded in by mistake!!! Also it certainly goes for a big diesel truck. The spanish police clocked me at 121mph and that was only only they could catch up!!! Oh dear...............

There were problems though;

1) Huge thirst. We managed just 18mpg.

2) My 20" wheels seem to have caused some problems. There is a lot of play in the steering feel now and the whole thing feels loose. Im not sure what it is but it needs to be looked at. Its off to the dealer soon but i guess there may be reasons that the big wheels are approved after all.........

3) FLYS!!! The car collects so many because it is so upright at the front. What a nighmare!

4) Wind noise. Lots.

5) The Sat Nav system is soooooo slow! The voice instruction is about 30 seconds behind your posistioning. I missed many turnings because of this.

Apart from that it was good. I only saw two other Commanders the whole time and one of those was a dealer demo! We genuinely saw more Ferrari Enzo's!! (3)

Update on the wheel/suspension/loosness to follow.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you were going 121mph no wonder you you had a thirsty vehicle. You try running that fast and see how much Gatorade you need! ;-)

You may need to just retighten the wheels being they are new and need to get any vibrations worked out of them.

SatNav will respond quicker depending on how many satellites have a lock on your vehicle. If less than three satellites have a lock the system will use your last known good position, your speed, and a gyroscope to guesstimate your position. If you have more satellites locked your location will be more accurate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
UK Commander 1 said:
3) FLYS!!! The car collects so many because it is so upright at the front. What a nighmare!
I know, I feaking hate that. And my windshield wipers wouldnt get them off most of the time. I want a bug shield, anyone have a GOOD picture? The wife wont put one on unless it looks OK.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This fellow got to be happy with his 18 mph - obviously because of the 3.0V6 and diesel. I am surprised he saw ANY Commanders in Europe! I've got 4.7V8 and 11.4 mph (have not been reset for a few months), so it is real average now. Aside from the 200 miles range, the other bad feauture is small vertical area in front - the driver's view is so poor that often I have to lower my head just to see what traffic light it is now. But backing this thing up is real adventure. Even with 3rd row down, once you turn your head backwards to the right (just like you're supposed to do it), you'll be staring in the middle of the back seat cause the damn thing is so f..g high! This "stadium" seating is designed for the comfort of passengers in the back seat with total disregard to the driver. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
476 Posts
rooney2oons said:
I know, I feaking hate that. And my windshield wipers wouldnt get them off most of the time. I want a bug shield, anyone have a GOOD picture? The wife wont put one on unless it looks OK.
I ordered the bug deflector (smoke/plastic) and vent shades with my Commander. Even the dealer complimented on how good it looked with those little extras...

HOWEVER -- The bug shield does not help much! I drive 30 miles each way to work and by the time I get home I am breaking out the glass cleaner and towels. I'll take a pic and send later this week.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Mikey...
All your posts so far on this board show quite a bit of buyer's remorse on your part.
Why don't you sell your Commander???
and live happily ever after? ...
or is there nothing else out there that would tickle your fancy?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Chipster009 said:
Hey Mikey...
All your posts so far on this board show quite a bit of buyer's remorse on your part.
Why don't you sell your Commander???
and live happily ever after? ...
or is there nothing else out there that would tickle your fancy?
I am totally in agreement with you Chipster...all you do Mikey is b*tch about the truck....then sell it!! Get something with good gas mileage and with everything else that pleases your fancy...for me I am tired of reading about how you dislike the vehicle...get off the forum!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mikey,

If the third row seats make it hard to see, try folding them down when you are not using them.

I took mine out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Don't be too harsh on Mikey

Relax guys!

Even though Mikey seems too negative about his experience with JC, I believe that's part of what the forum is all about; is to watch for each other and tell our experiences the way they are.

Commandude

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took my JC on a 300 mile trip the second day that I had it. I let my wife drive almost half of that time and she just loved the way it handled. Up to that point she was a little leary about us getting it. I must say that it handles much better than I ever thought it would. One question though. Do they even offer the JC in diesel here in the US.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
CAPN4765, the is no diesel Commander available in the US yet. There will be a diesel Grand Cherokee for the US for 2007. You should expect a diesel in the US-spec Commander by 2008.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts