Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I drive a tank . . . or at least it feels that way sometimes.

My commander sounds like a huge commercial jet engine or military tank is driving through my parking garage ( or anywhere really)
and while I have some theories, namely the fan clutch and an exhaust leak, I wanted to get some insight and pointers from you all as
to whether it is one or the other, or both.

I figure that many of you know that roaring engine sound I'm talking about . . . I have that, all the time.

I am also pretty sure I have an exhaust leak but havent been able to detect it yet because it has rained every weekend here in Miami since I bought the truck 2 months ago.

I plan on attaching a shop vac to the exhaust and blowing into the tailpipe then using soapy water onto the exhaust manifold pipes etc and looking for bubbles in order to identify a leak. I will then use extreme temp exhaust "glue" to cover the holes up. Hoping that there are no major cracks or holes but i dont think there are as it only sounds slightly like an open header racecar...nothing too crazy

UNLESS

the roaring sound is from a major exhaust leak??

I don't think it is BUT i wanted to defer to the expertise and wisdom of previous owners that may have already gone through either both of these isssues or one vs the other and also had the roaring sound.

Please chime in with your thoughts, insight, questions, and suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 135k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
280 Posts
If your fan clutch is bad, you should feel it really tight, if not totally locked up when rotated by hand. Obviously, check this with engine off, and cold.
If the engine is started up cold, you can also quickly hold your hands near the exhaust pipes/joints and feel for puffs of air escaping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Stircrayzy. When I was replacing the alternator the other day i moved the fan out of the way several times with no issue.

So, think its exhaust only?

Anything else that could cause it to sound like that?

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Thanks for the reply Stircrayzy. When I was replacing the alternator the other day i moved the fan out of the way several times with no issue.

So, think its exhaust only?

Anything else that could cause it to sound like that?
Sounds like a good place to start; You and I have the same Powertrain and I have not experienced what you're describing;

Then again, I also put in a new AFE Cat-back exhaust system about 2 1/2 years or so, ago.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think I would be forcing air through the exhaust with a shop vac. There are restrictions in the muffler and the cats, so I wouldn't do it. Its pretty easy to tell the difference between an exhaust leak and a bad fan clutch. Get under the car when it is idling and listen. Also listen at the engine bay near the exhaust manifolds. An exhaust leak is a raspy sound, not like you have indicated, which was a roaring sound.

The roaring sound could indicate a possible problem with the fan clutch. Simply remove the serpentine fan belt. If it goes away then it could be either the fan clutch or a bearing issue with either the alternator, idler pulley or something else that rotates when the belt is on. I would remove the belt first, since that is easy. If the problem goes away, put it back on and then take a long screwdriver and place it on each of the suspect parts (except the fan clutch) and listen with the screwdriver on your ear - this will help to isolate the problem.

Take your time and be patient. You will find the source of the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input DanielDD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.