Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had coolant leaking for some time. Replaced a cracked thermostat that aided in the leaking of my fluid. To my astonishment it got worse. I see now where coolant is coming out from the entire front. What do you guys think I am in for.

I am in Albuqurque for the next week and will only have a day there to give up my jeep for servicing. Does anyone have a trusted mechanic there? Unfortunately I have to drive the commander 300 miles today but I will watch the engine fluid levels carefully.

This matched with the service 4wd system and parking sensor warning as well as tire pressure warnings on my 88,000 mile commander is making me worried.

Here are pictures of where in my limited knowledge I feel the leak is. Oddly enough my temp has never been extremely high. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1340737628.790176.jpg

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
Robby hasn't been here for a few months. I wonder what happened to him ?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Get some Barrs Leak to put in the cooling system - that stuff will stop a bullet hole:) It actually helps, lubricates the water pump etc. If you dont want to use it, carry a can just in case. It will get you along till you get to a good mechanic.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I would like time to make the right decision financially and take time to do what's best for my jeep.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Looks like the leak is coming from behind the water pump. I know the 3.7 and 4.7 engines had leaky water pumps with <100K miles. I am not sure if the problem persist with the 5.7L engine.

Search the forum regarding leaky water pump. Several good threads with lots of information.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I will. A water pump replacement seems like a relatively inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It is, and not too difficult. I did mine recently at around 62k. Had a very small leak at the water pump seal, right side. Make sure you top off the fluid though, I blotched this part, and the XK overheated a few times, before I got the fluid correct. There are a couple of threads on this

Thank you, I will. A water pump replacement seems like a relatively inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
244 Posts
@Scare did u call Robby and FIA.e out what's up? I hope he is ok. Thanks Steve.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called on e and left a message.... No reply and not like his character to ignore anyone. I will try again today.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I also sent him a PM and no answer.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robby is well. Huey and I have made contact with him. His computer is broken and since he became more active in his car club (Impala) he has had little time, or as he says, "I've benn running around like a one armed wallpaper hanger".

It was my water pump.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been gone awhile. I did talk to Robbie. All is well. He isn't excited about replacing his broken computer. What a great guy. He is a mass of knowledge. He is busy with his mid-90's Impala club.

·
Super Moderator
14,964 Posts
I've been gone awhile. I did talk to Robbie. All is well. He isn't excited about replacing his broken computer. What a great guy. He is a mass of knowledge. He is busy with his mid-90's Impala club.
Does he still have his Commander ?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe so. It's his "man about town" car. I think he said he has around 14 cars and a hanger where he keeps them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts