Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start to compile everything in one thread over time as some others have done. Even though I have a silver rig, I am going for the 'black out' process.

First up:
I really didn't want to spend the $130-150 on the diamond plate "COMMANDER" door sills. I had a surplus of scratches on the sill most likely from my heels. My body guy tracked these down for me for the driver side and the passenger side door. However, we haven't found them for the rear doors yet. They cost $30 from NAPA.

Next:

While driving I95 everyday I was tired of being tailgated. I wanted to have any chance of a "safeguard" I could get by adding the GoRhino 3' tubular hitch step.

Its easy to install, and I recommend a locking hitch pin from your local auto store. However, I failed to fully read the instructions. The box contains an 'anti rattle device' which will be your saving grace for being able to retain full functionality of your back-up sensors. The step has too much give, and depending on where you are backing up can giggle the step in the sensors path.

Anti rattle device:

My most exiting new addition was my new exhaust system. I dug around on the internet to find these black powder coated exhaust tips to add to the 'blackening' process.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Love the Tailpipes...can I say that here?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bull bar

The final addition this weekend was the bull bar. It took me a while to decide between the bull bar and the grille guard, and I decided that the bull bar's smaller size just fit better on the 'SUV'.

Several problems existed with the Steelcraft bull bar, even thought it is the best buy.

1. It takes one month for manufacturing and shipping combined.
2. I was missing directions upon receipt of item, had to wait for them.
3. One hole was not threaded correctly, had to tap it.

The bumper does not need to be removed for install, however, in the process of getting it installed, we chipped the paint.

The bull bar does not fit properly once all the screws are tightened down. The bull bar is pulled right into the bumper, which is a huge negative in my mind. In order to solve this problem we placed 'spacers' - metal washers, in a ratio of 1 to 4, driver side to passenger respectively, and ended up more than doubling that just for "safe keeping" so it would leave a minimum 1/4" space.

Below are pictures of the brackets and the spacers we added.

Final note:

Maybe all bull bars are troublesome due to being mass produced. If so, go for it as it was the best deal on the internet getting the bull bar and hitch step for $300 delivered.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
robochick84 said:
I figured I really didn't want to spend the $130-150 on the diamond plate "COMMANDER" door sills. I had a surplus of scratches on the sill most likely from my heels. My body guy tracked these down for me for the driver side and the passenger side door. However, we haven't found them for the rear doors yet. They cost $30 from NAPA.

It looks like there is a space between the knobs on the front one that you could cut and they would fit the back as well. Good find and you saved some big bucks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
nice job thanks for posting pics. hitch step looks like it would make for easy loading on the roof.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 'tailpipes' were one of my favorite parts thus far too!

I don't think I'll be making the camping trip, 'no facilities' scared me away from that! Can I bring my motorhome in instead? :D

I have thought about getting another set and 'cutting' them too. I'm going to check around a few more places to see if anyone carries the same thing in the right size first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I figured I would start to compile everything in one thread over time as some others have done. Even though I have a silver rig, I am going for the 'black out' process.

First up:
I really didn't want to spend the $130-150 on the diamond plate "COMMANDER" door sills. I had a surplus of scratches on the sill most likely from my heels. My body guy tracked these down for me for the driver side and the passenger side door. However, we haven't found them for the rear doors yet. They cost $30 from NAPA.

Next:

While driving I95 everyday I was tired of being tailgated. I wanted to have any chance of a "safeguard" I could get by adding the GoRhino 3' tubular hitch step.

Its easy to install, and I recommend a locking hitch pin from your local auto store. However, I failed to fully read the instructions. The box contains an 'anti rattle device' which will be your saving grace for being able to retain full functionality of your back-up sensors. The step has too much give, and depending on where you are backing up can giggle the step in the sensors path.

Anti rattle device:

My most exiting new addition was my new exhaust system. I dug around on the internet to find these black powder coated exhaust tips to add to the 'blackening' process.

Where did you find that exhaust tip if you dont mind me asking? Im in the process of blacking out my commander.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Where did you find that exhaust tip if you dont mind me asking? Im in the process of blacking out my commander.
Robochick has not been back since 12/2009

·
Registered
64 Posts
Robochick has not been back since 12/2009
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I really like that exhaust tip, guess I will have to google it up!!!

:google:

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd love to put duals on my Commander. Anyone have "true duals" on both the left and the rights sides?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.