Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
What about the tab hanging out of the bottom left of the ring? I appreciate you trying this out and reporting it but does it do the job 100%?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the tab hanging out of the bottom left of the ring?
I know, that disturbed a little bit too. That is certainly a consequence of letting the dealership do the work. I might not have put it on myself if I saw that there was something hanging out like that. I figured, well it's on already and it's not leaking.

But let's think about this a little bit. Let's start with the assumption that all the bolts do really line up and the mechanic didn't just cut the ones that didn't and superglued them into place to make them LOOK like they lined up.

If the differential housing has some extra metal to it that hangs out beyond the diff cover what does that really do in the way of harm? It's not like that flimsy cover was really adding much in the way of sturctural integrity to that bit of extra. with the bolts lining up there must be sufficient 'seat' area for the gasket with either cover.

If it were the other way around where the cover was hanging over then I would be more worried as that little extra cover would get caught on stuff and pose a hazard.

I don't have a really strong opinion on this at the moment. I'm just thinking out loud. PLEASE, correct any mistakes in my logic here.

I will probably take a closer look this weekend with more pictures and give a better report.

·
Registered
422 Posts
To answer you question or try to hear is what it says on the purchasing page on quadratec...

The strength and durability of these Rockcrusher diff covers (diff hats in Australian) are absolutely the strongest and most durable units on the market to date. Rockcrusher covers are .250” thick with reinforcement ribs. The larger diameter oil fill hole is located higher on the cover to aid in filling rotated housings. Includes mounting bolts, fill plug, and easy to follow installation instructions.

so it looks like it is set high but shouldnot be a problem if you know how much to pour in.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That area of casting you see doesn't much matter but, That fill hole seems way too high or at least the photo makes it look so.

Rob

Thats what I had said in the other thread. That fill hole looks way to high. I sure hope they didnt fill up that rear differential until it started to pour out the hole.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I think that area below the cover (diff housing) sticks out even on the OEM cover. I say it looks great. As for the fill plug I agree it looks a little high but I don't think it is TOO high. I am sure that the amount of extra fluid it would allow to be in the diff would have any adverse affect.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's so much fun to stir stuff up! Just wait for the next two weeks! Sorry no hints.

·
Registered
422 Posts
oh jeeze...now im on my toes!!!!...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think that area below the cover (diff housing) sticks out even on the OEM cover. I say it looks great. As for the fill plug I agree it looks a little high but I don't think it is TOO high. I am sure that the amount of extra fluid it would allow to be in the diff would have any adverse affect.
Would or wouldnt have any adverse effect?

I can tell you right now that if it was filled with fluid until it started to pour out of the fill hole then its going to destroy that differential/axle.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Actually if the fluid level is too high it causes the axle tubes to carry too much oil.
This is turn causes the axle seals to be immersed in oil and they are not designed for immersion.
Ultimatly, they begin to leak.

Rob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be checking the levels this weekend if not sooner. In the event of a failure due to the levels being to high, shouldn't this be covered under warranty since the dealership did the work?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Actually if the fluid level is too high it causes the axle tubes to carry too much oil.
This is turn causes the axle seals to be immersed in oil and they are not designed for immersion.
Ultimatly, they begin to leak.

Rob
I agree with that, but looking at the photo I don't think the plug is actually that high. I think it is the camera angle that makes it seem that the bottom of the plug is higher than the tube level.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As far as dealership warranty ... gl ...they will say you messed with it anc they are not responsible for it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I believe that the manual says to fill it to one inch below the hole. So hopefully the dealership did exactly what the manual stated. Where's the love for the 12 bolters?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ideally you should hold the original cover alongside the new one to determine how much different the fill/check hole is.
As far as a warranty question....wim and will of the dealer.
If they put in the prescribed amount...no issue, warranty.
If its filled to the bottom of the hole, and that hole is not in the same place as original, well, like I said, wim and will.
They likely would warrantee it but to prevent future failures you should instruct them to only use the prescribed amount in the manual.....not fill to the LEVEL as stated in the manual as that no longer would apply.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I suppose if they were smart they would have checked the hole locations to be sure they were the same. If they were not, they could have marked the new cover to be sure the fill level is correct regardless of hole location

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I agree with that, but looking at the photo I don't think the plug is actually that high. I think it is the camera angle that makes it seem that the bottom of the plug is higher than the tube level.
This is from post #5

The strength and durability of these Rockcrusher diff covers (diff hats in Australian) are absolutely the strongest and most durable units on the market to date. Rockcrusher covers are .250” thick with reinforcement ribs. The larger diameter oil fill hole is located higher on the cover to aid in filling rotated housings. Includes mounting bolts, fill plug, and easy to follow installation instructions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts