Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the pictures speak for themselves. It was pretty easy but it did require some fabrications because I had lost the adapter parts since this shift knob is about 5 years old.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im not sure if I like it or not. But that really doesnt matter because its your Jeep!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Whatever makes you happy! Every mod is a good mod.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I could find the collar that is supposed to go on the bottom it would be better because it is smaller. I am still really happy with it as it is now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very unique mod. I don't know anybody that would have thought that one up lol. Thumbs up from me!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i like it! I think you should rotate it just a little so its almost like a T-handle though. buddy of mine custom made one once out of a piston from a blown engine, still wanting him to make me one.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cool!

Hey how did the old knob come off ... I wanted to mod my original knob and put it back on ... but never figured out how it removes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ha ha... it looks good! I've eyeballed those rock knobs in Jeep catalogs before. They would've really looked good in my '56 Willies high hood. (Don't have it anymore tho)

A guy could make one easy enough with a carbide bit and careful drilling. They want a pretty penny for the catalog versions.

The OEM knob removes by unscrewing the bottom ring part. It's a bind-up type deal, kind of like what a pole extension uses. (Such as a car wash wand with a telescoping handle) You loosen it up 'til the knob gets wobbly, then pull it off.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ha ha... it looks good! I've eyeballed those rock knobs in Jeep catalogs before. They would've really looked good in my '56 Willies high hood. (Don't have it anymore tho)

A guy could make one easy enough with a carbide bit and careful drilling. They want a pretty penny for the catalog versions.

The OEM knob removes by unscrewing the bottom ring part. It's a bind-up type deal, kind of like what a pole extension uses. (Such as a car wash wand with a telescoping handle) You loosen it up 'til the knob gets wobbly, then pull it off.
Thanks I'll try it out

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i like it! I think you should rotate it just a little so its almost like a T-handle though. buddy of mine custom made one once out of a piston from a blown engine, still wanting him to make me one.
I have seen the piston knobs and they look really good also, but they are more of a street rod thing in my opinion. The rock knob is kinda designed to be put on the way instead of like a T-handle. That is because it fits nicely in your hand that way and it is not uncomfortable to hold, more of a natural feel. It doesn't matter much for a auto cause you hand is on it momentarily but on a manual you are holding it all the time and if it is turned sideways it is kinda awkward to hold.

The other thing I forgot to mention that is more information for a manual than an auto is these things get really cold in the winter time. I remember when I had it in my TJ and I got in to go anywhere it stayed cold for about 45mins and that was with me shifting all the time. On really cold days it hurt your hand if you had to hold it for long periods of time like in traffic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rock shifter is definitely different... but i like how you use that cubby hole in front of the shifter as housing for the 3 way adapter. I'm stealing that idea!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looks fun, Fits with the off roading thing.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The XK shift lever doesn't have threads it is just a notched shaft. I think it is about 3/8" and is smooth except for a small notch about half way to the top. With the lock ring at the bottom twisted off the stock knob will just pull straight off. The rock knob has some adapters to fit different size shift levers and thread sizes but if I remember correctly the slug that is actually in the rock is 3/8" thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts