Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at the new Rock Krawler 3.5" lift for the XK.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/

It looks pretty easy but I wanted to get thoughts from those that have had dealings with rock krawler before!

Also any problems that you may see in it.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem with this much lift on IFS without a longer knuckle or dropping the entire cradle is that the control arm ball joints will be running near their limit of travel. Seems like a good way to wreck them if the original travel only allows 4" of rebound travel and you use 3.5" of it for lift.

It will be interesting to hear how they last when a few people get them installed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeepcollector that is a very good point and something I had not thought about! It will be interesting to get some feed back on this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i'm considering that kit right now on my 2 wd. not sure if i would be happy with the 2". i've put some rock krawler kits on full size dodges and fords, i was skeptical at first but everyone seems to be real happy with the ride. let you know as soon as i sell my yj hard doors, hopefully by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The problem with this much lift on IFS without a longer knuckle or dropping the entire cradle is that the control arm ball joints will be running near their limit of travel. Seems like a good way to wreck them if the original travel only allows 4" of rebound travel and you use 3.5" of it for lift.

It will be interesting to hear how they last when a few people get them installed.
That is a great price, and it's about the right amount of lift. I just don't know where to start with looking into upgrading the knuckle. Dropping the cradle has me lost as well.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about this kit myself...

·
Registered
175 Posts
sold my doors today. so after work tommorrow i'm going to the shop i used to work at and order my lift. i think i'm going to ask my buddy that owns the shop his opinion on both kit's. and i'll put it on this weekend i hope. can't wait.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
You might want to look at the thread that details the ball joint issues that Phunkeydude has been involved with. His ball joint popped out of the socket during our Sedona trail ride. (Now doesn't that sound painful). I think he has a 4inch lift so it might give you some insight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i did see that one. and i'm just wondering if i may have better luck and less stress on mine being only 2 wheel drive? just food for thought. i also don't really want to buy new wheels and tires right now so i may just stick with the r.r. lift

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
did you get a true 2.5 " lift out of yours huey?
I actually did not measure it. I can tell you that I have had no issues with tires rubbing. I used the Spydertrax spacer to get the wheels out farther and have bigger tires. My experience is that amount of lift is not as important as taking your time, having a good line or spotter, and driving responsibly and smoothly. I think that I could go on most any jeep trail with the current setup. I have driven the Rubicon Trail several times, (with my YJ or TJ) and would be more likely to get body damage than to get hung up because of clearence. I would also add that as much as I like the look of Tom, (Phunkeydudes) lifted Comander, I would worry more about suspension geometry problems as you get higher lifts. This opinion is worth just what it cost you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i'm going with the 2.5 RR . mostly cosmetics. i can beat up my yj if i wanna get crazy. tow it with the commander just because i can. i appreciate your input. sometime's i get a little too excited before i think about all the variables. i'll show some pic's as i progress.

·
Administrator
16,129 Posts
HueyPilotVN, how's that JATO working out for you ? I've seen it in operation on Fat Albert, the Blue Angels C-130. It is very impressive.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I am saving the second shot for when I really need it. The test shot nearly put me into orbit and scared the bejesus out of all them people I passed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i already ordered the 3" Krawler System.........I'll report on its install, quality of parts, yadda yadda yadda

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
i already ordered the 3" Krawler System.........I'll report on its install, quality of parts, yadda yadda yadda
Take lots of pictures and we can create a how to on that lift system.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Take lots of pictures and we can create a how to on that lift system.
+1
I would really like to see how that one goes in, and looks after install.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good Luck with that kit. I hope you bought extra ball joints and cv axles!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts