Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and found a couple old posts about rocker panel rot. Anyone with new ideas or fabrications? Can’t find much with google

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s one of the posts I found. Any new info? Anyone build their own rockers?

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
That’s one of the posts I found. Any new info? Anyone build their own rockers?
I have not heard of anyone fabricating their own;

I've only heard of having them cut out of a donor XK and welded in place of the rusted ones.

In the 6 years I've been here, that's the only thread I remember where somebody actually did it.

I don't really know how common of a problem it is, I guess it depends on how well your XK has been taken care of & what kind of climate it's spent most of it's life in.

Sorry that I don't have a better answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Thought I took good care of it with yearly Fluid Film baths. But in western ny climate, and sitting a few months, the rust came from the inside.

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
Thank you. Thought I took good care of it with yearly Fluid Film baths. But in western ny climate, and sitting a few months, the rust came from the inside.
Yep I hear you;

If your XK is not garaged, or it's left out in the weather for any period of time, this stuff happens.

I don't think FCA did a great job of under-coating XK-s from the factory either, from the ones I have seen in person.

I know mine doesn't look like it has any under-coating at all, from what I can see;

I'm just fortunate, she's very clean with minimal rust.

I'm planning on getting her under-coated with Rhino-Liner here, pretty soon.

I hear this is the popular option these days, as opposed to the old petroleum based under-coating that was used back in the day.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L, QT-II 4WD
163 Posts
I have a small area of rust inside both rear doors, along the rear parts of the rockers. I always check the Commanders at the Pull a Part lot when I go for other Commander parts. Every one I've seen there has been badly rusted along the rockers. I figured if I found one with good metal I could cut it out and use it to replace mine. No luck so far...

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
I have a small area of rust inside both rear doors, along the rear parts of the rockers. I always check the Commanders at the Pull a Part lot when I go for other Commander parts. Every one I've seen there has been badly rusted along the rockers. I figured if I found one with good metal I could cut it out and use it to replace mine. No luck so far...
Commanders in good shape (with minimal rust, dents etc.) that haven't been beaten to death have become extremely hard to find.

·
Registered
2006 Commander, 4.7, QTII
21 Posts
Searched and found a couple old posts about rocker panel rot. Anyone with new ideas or fabrications? Can’t find much with google
My 2006 commander failed state inspection for rocker rust in Pennsylvania in 2019. Had both rockers cut out and new metal welded in by Rust Repair Inc. for $1600. Not sure how well they did...area was covered in undercoating after repair. But has passed inspection since then and i've noted no problems. I have since applied Fluid Film inside and outside of frame/rockers/lower body panels since then annually.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey...How's it going Blue?
My son has been using the XK daily , with over 150k now, it's still a horse. It's up for brake pads soon with a fluid flush and a couple other things, regular stuff.
Bought used in 2010 and put about 115k on it.
To date, best vehicle owned.
I never heard of Fluid Film, but I do want to apply something on the rockers. They're hidden and vulnerable, as we all know

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
Hey...How's it going Blue?
My son has been using the XK daily , with over 150k now, it's still a horse. It's up for brake pads soon with a fluid flush and a couple other things, regular stuff.
Bought used in 2010 and put about 115k on it.
To date, best vehicle owned.
I never heard of Fluid Film, but I do want to apply something on the rockers. They're hidden and vulnerable, as we all know
@rhobll ;

Good to see your still hanging around; I'm hanging in there, glad to hear that your son is still driving your XK;

2010 with 115,000 miles? Nice....what power-train did you get? 4.7L or 5.7L?

I just got a quote here locally from Destination 4x4 and they told me they would spray Big Blue with a fresh layer of under-coating for $400-$500, so, I'm going to jump on that.

I was crawling around underneath Big Blue yesterday and she is super-clean and almost completely rust free, but, whatever undercoating was there (assuming it was undercoated from the factory) is all but gone.

So, I'm definitely going to pull the trigger and get fresh layer of undercoating on her, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If mine was that clean, I definitely would get it treated underneath.
My Commander is a 2006. I bought it with 35k on it in 2010, we now have over 150k.
It's the 3.7l with a controlled oil burn that's been going since I got it. Decided to use the Lucas oil treatment a few years ago per oil change, and honestly it seems to burn less oil.
It's been reliable and trust worthy and a beast in the snow.
We replaced the struts and springs, rear shocks and did the upper control arms recently, got the alignment and put new tires on. The steering and drive is smooth...
I'm very happy it's still in the family.

Reactions: dar124

·
Administrator
7,103 Posts
If mine was that clean, I definitely would get it treated underneath.
My Commander is a 2006. I bought it with 35k on it in 2010, we now have over 150k.
It's the 3.7l with a controlled oil burn that's been going since I got it. Decided to use the Lucas oil treatment a few years ago per oil change, and honestly it seems to burn less oil.
It's been reliable and trust worthy and a beast in the snow.
We replaced the struts and springs, rear shocks and did the upper control arms recently, got the alignment and put new tires on. The steering and drive is smooth...
I'm very happy it's still in the family.
Sounds like your XK has been well taken care of.

Hopefully, she will remain there for years to come.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts