Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a small lift on my 2006 Commander, reserched and the Rocky Road seemed to get the best reviews of the Budget Boost lifts. I've kept all stock parts installed.

If you decide to do this lift, some things you'll need

Coil Compressors
Full socket set
Breaker bar
PB Blaster
3lb sledge
Jack and Stands
a helper

Some things you'll want:

Air Tools
a second small Jack
racheting box end wrenches
radio

Do not attempt this lift without Beer, Chew or cigarettes, I had all 3 during mine.

When getting started you read the directions, shortly after reading those, you will notice the person who typed those directions out is an idiot.

Its all pretty simple untill one part.... The strut fork bolt (Clevis Bolt)
This bolt is a monster if not done right.... the Nut will come right off with some muscle, the bolt on the other hand has an idea of its own.

if you can hit it and soak it with PB Blaster the night before you start your lift.

Try Air tools if you've got them, 21mm is the bolt size. The breaker bar is what really got mine to move, get a metal tube that will fit your socket wrench in, and give your self some leverage and crank on it. you may on get 1/8 turn on it for the first few cranks but then it will break loose and come undone from that boot inside of the control arm. That bolt is tappered as well, so its not going to just come falling out. its not threaded so your helper may need to tap it while you turn it. DO NOT SMASH THIS BOLT. if you have to really hit it put the nut back on and hit the nut. PB blaster is your friend.

The coil compressors will help out on the back, did the whole back in just over an hour. I will entertain any question i can. I know there are a few threads out there about this lift but non are very recent.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I notice you advise putting the nut back on and then striking the nut with the hammer... this could potentially be bad. Especially if the bolt is seized. Hitting the nut could cause the threads to shift if hit hard enough... trust me, I had to ream out a couple threads in order for the nut to spin back on the bolt after I hit the nut.
I've learned from experience and I hope others can learn from my mistake as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What size tire did you go with and did you use any wheel spacers? I am considering the same lift on the wife's. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
265/70/17 Nitto Tera Grapplers and 1.5" spacers. I was going to go with 1.25" spacers but i got a killer deal on the 1.5's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I notice you advise putting the nut back on and then striking the nut with the hammer... this could potentially be bad. Especially if the bolt is seized. Hitting the nut could cause the threads to shift if hit hard enough... trust me, I had to ream out a couple threads in order for the nut to spin back on the bolt after I hit the nut.
I've learned from experience and I hope others can learn from my mistake as well.
no doubt, when using a hammer, your taking a risk, I hit the nut for the pure fact that it was possibly less damaging then hitting the bolt, lesser of two evils i guess. Good point though

·
Registered
38 Posts
great thread
did you go with the shocks RockyRoad offers with this lift?

·
Registered
38 Posts
also, what is the debate on 1.25 vs 1.5 wheel spacers, i am not sure which to get
thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have 1.5" spacers with stock tires and they stick out very slightly from the fender flare (just the rounded bulge on the side of the tire, not the tread) . If you don't want it to stick out at all, or are going with a larger tire you may want the 1.25" spacers.

I am quite happy with my 1.5's.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Use MAP gas torch to heat the bolt then hit it. It works.

I didnt use a coil compressor. Put a jack under the center of the rear axel and jack the opposite side up pushing the side you are working on down.

Notch the back of the gas tank shield about 2 inches. All the room you need for that lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After enterprise leasing upgraded me to the new 4d Wrangler this year I was a little envious.
Made me kind of hate the grocery getter look of my Commander. I could have spent many thousands of dollars selling my Commander and buying a new Jeep but common sense took over. I spent $1000 and bought the RR super rock sliders and the 2.25 " RR lift kit. With the install was just over 1G. The look and handling is priceless. Retained the nice hwy ride of my Commander with the clearance of a Wrangler. The build quality is exceptional and over built if anything. I did call RR twice and they were very helpful I don't know where the bad reviews came from.

I will get my wheels aligned this week.

Diggity

Kevin:banana:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shocks

I have been looking and the Rocky Road seems to be what I am looking for. However, I notice the up sell on their website about shocks/struts. I just purchased our Commander and know the wife doesn't want a "mommy mobile" and she is down for the lift for the right coin.

That said, anyone actually install this without the purchase of the shocks/struts and have any problems?? I presume I can get them at a later date etc but think I can swing the price for the lift now, and get it done... As for the install, ya'll have me a little concerned. I have air tools and no slouch with a wrench and lifted many a Wrangler/Cherokee, but this new "breed" of Jeep I got is definitely "nicer" than what I am used to. So to keep the wifey happy, may just go to a shop that will also handle the alignment....

Thoughts??
Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts