Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard varying opinions on both of these type of lifts. Things like stress on CV joints that could be caused by how the Rock Road lift is engineered and problems with creaking later from Poly bushings used in the Daystar one. Which one of these two types of lifts is the superior system?

·
Registered
157 Posts
does any one have any info on this. i was checking out lifts today. The place I went to does not sell the rusty lift or rocky road, but carries the daystar. He said he would give it to me for 300$ including tax. He will also install it for cheap. I am not to familiar with the daystar lift. does any one have any expierence with it. I would like to know any pros and cons. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
donutz, I would put Daystar lower on the list as I don't think anyone on here is running one. For $300 you could buy one of the more tried and tested lifts (Rocky Road or Rustys Off Road) and have it shipped to you.

As far as I know Daystar are just doing poly spacer lifts (no shock swap). A lot of the L.O.S.T. owners run Daystar lifts because of a lack of lift kits for the KJ.

The Skyjacker lift appears to be only a spacer package too. A spacer package will squeak a little bit more as time goes by but as the cabin of XK is quite insulated I do not know how much you would notice it.

These type of lifts are typically known as econo lifts. They are used only for the fitment of larger tires and will not improve ride quality or handling. In addition to the above mentioned companies, Fabtech also offers a one of these lifts.

The only higher end lift kits that fit a Commander is the AEV/Superlift 4" kit. Unfortunately OME is not offering a kit for the Commander yet (would one of the Aussie members of this site go bug them about this?).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the Rocky Road with DT8000 rear shocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sycohemi,
How long have you had the Rocky Road lift? How many miles? How do you like it? How does it compare to stock? I am thinking of going with the same setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the Rocky Road 2" Lift for about 4 months/18,000 miles and I am impressed with the performance. My buddy owns a shop and one the guys installing it re routed the speed sensor around my front left spring. I had that replaced and since it has been smooth sailing. I highly recomend this kit it sets you far apart from the soccer moms we all loathe. Posting pics soon just signed up.

I am also looking to put an exhaust kit on my 4.7 V8. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Sycohemi, i heard the DT8000 shocks are pretty rough compared to the stock ride. Someone on anothe from recommended the Bilstiens, how do you like them?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lan1201 said:
Hey Sycohemi, i heard the DT8000 shocks are pretty rough compared to the stock ride. Someone on anothe from recommended the Bilstiens, how do you like them?

I have the same setup as Sycho and I think the ride is great. The lift and new shocks make the ride a little tighter, which I like. I thought the stock ride was a little soft.

I would disagree with the DT8000 shocks being "rougher" but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, I like the ride of the DT8000's just fine. I don't think it is rough at all. If you want rough, you should ride in the backseat of our 04 Cayenne S. That is a rough, but firm & responsive ride.

Any recommendations as to what to do with the stock rear shocks? Are they worth anything to anybody? Are they the same as the Grand Cherokee shocks?

·
Registered
396 Posts
5x5 said:
Sycohemi,
How long have you had the Rocky Road lift? How many miles? How do you like it? How does it compare to stock? I am thinking of going with the same setup.
The ride is similar to stock, but slightly firmer. It's different, but not in a major way.

In my opinion, the ride is probably better, since the stock ride is so cushy.

I have a wife and little kid, and no problems at all with the new lift and suspension.

I've had the lift for a while, and I have over 16,000 miles on the Commander now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts