Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running the same setup on their commander as the one from the rocky road website? If they are selling those rigs new and with warranty I would assume no cutting or rubbing.

The website says a 17x8 rim with 0 offset and 265/70/17's are a perfect fit. I am sending an email to rr to ask what dealership this is so I can contact them, rr already told me there was no wheel well mods to fit these but the guy I talked to said he didn't know what dealership they were working with.

Those rims would stick out quite a bit compared to normal but really, if that's the answer to running 265/70's then I'm down.

Only reason I ask is because with so much talk on here about rims and fitment no one has ever brought up what rr says on their website as being sold new at a dealership of all places working out just fine...

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
The XK on that site was a member once, The dealer installed that lift and it works as described on the site. Go with bigger tires and then you have to address the issues discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I understand you right?

That combination of wheels/tires will be a 'perfect fit' as described by RR? and anything larger than 265/70/17 will have the issues to address?

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Do I understand you right?

That combination of wheels/tires will be a 'perfect fit' as described by RR? and anything larger than 265/70/17 will have the issues to address?
Yes! That is what I was trying too say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So why are some cutting and bangin away at their commanders?

Lack of wheels in that specific size/offset?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those Mickey Thompsons on the RR car are within .2" heighth and width of any other 265/70/17 though...

Isn't the only real difference between cutting and not here the rim choice?

I know that 17x8 rims with a zero offset and 5x127 lug pattern are hard to find but I'd rather go that route than cut away at my wheel wells by going with the same size tire and any other rim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to rocky road today and they are going to send me the list of dealerships they have worked with so I can ask them about the setup mentioned on rr's site, they said the dealers install the lift/rims/tires. I'll keep this thread updated when I find out more...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel like this is more of a blog at the moment than a discussion...

I just got a message back from the owner of Rocky Road:

The tires we have shown and listed on our website did not require any
cutting or trimming to fit. Those are the largest tires we can confirm the
fit for without any additional tweaking on the Jeep. I hope that makes
sense...

Glenn Wakefield
www.rocky-road.com
Rocky Road Outfitters, voted Top Ten All Star Manufacturer by Four Wheeler
magazine readers.
----- Original Message -----

So according to Rocky Road you CAN run 265/70/17 with a 17x8, zero offset rim and have no problems. I'm sure one tire to the next might come closer to rubbing than another or might even rub a 'little' bit. Either way It sounds like this is the best way to go without cutting and banging away at the Jeep and retaining the stock wheel wells.

I just can't believe that almost no one on the forums has tried this combination of lift, being that rr says it will work and lots of folks have rr lifts here.

All said and done, I'm gonna grab the rr lift here soon. I have a buddy that owns a Big O so he's getting me hooked up with some rims/tires. Shouldn't be long until I find out for sure if this'll work or not. I'll keep updating as the wife releases funds, LOL.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I just can't believe that almost no one on the forums has tried this combination of lift, being that rr says it will work and lots of folks have rr lifts here.
I looked into that tire/wheel combo, but wanted the 32" tire. Not to mention the tire I wanted, BFG Mud Terrains in the 255/75-17 are only $101 with shipping right now. I figured saving over $200 was a worth while cause for the slight bit of fenderwell modifying.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I am running the 265/70 on stock wheels without cutting, banging, or anything. There is minor rubbing on the wheel well but you can only notice it when the tires are wet and they squeak a little. I have 1.5" wheel spacers. If I had 1.25" there would probably be no issue of rubbing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adamag,

Is there more rubbing then the further the wheels stick out?

I believe the stock off set for the commander is 50mm. The rims quoted by Rocky Road are zero offet. That equivalent to a 2" spacer, if I'm right. So is going out 1.5" the length where the wheel well is closest perhaps and going in or out from there would give more room?

Also, what tires are you running?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it looks like I'll have an answer on rubbing and such on the 16th of march. I just called my buddy who owns a big o and got hooked up with some 17x8, 0 offset, black helo 842's and some 265/70/17 nitto tera grapplers. The kit from rr is on its way.

Sucks I don't have time to get it on before the 16th but I manage a restaurant so weekends don't really exist for me. Plus the big o is two hours away...

Anyway, waiting is gonna kill me here but I'll post I install and before and after pics in a few weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts