Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Their website says they are strong, but what about the mounting points on the Jeep? Where exactly do they bolt up, is the mounting setup strong, and are they truly a bolt-on application ? Finally , are they worth the money, or do 'yall recommend another brand ?

·
2,248 Posts
I used to have a set. They bolted right up and I liked them. They seemed strong. Lee wanted something a little easier to use as a step because she has trouble getting into the Commander and the nerf bars sit out farther than the Super Sliders. I replaced them with chrome nerf bars with black steps. I do know that several forum members seem to like them also. The Super Sliders are better for protecting your Commander.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
what about 4XGuard's side guards? they dont count?

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
what about 4XGuard's side guards? they dont count?
They are not the same kind of product as the sliders, which is what Smitty is asking about.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have a lift I recommend the RR sliders. They make an excellent jacking point for a High Lift jack.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They are not the same kind of product as the sliders, which is what Smitty is asking about.
I'll continue to disagree with this blanket statement that you have repeated elsewhere. It doesn't matter to me what product Smitty or anyone else chooses to use, but I think it's best to keep the facts out there and let people make up their own minds based on their own needs.

1. Both products (and some others, too) protect the breakover angle and the full length of the rocker panel.

2. Both are designed to take the full weight of the vehicle.

I would humbly suggest that these are the primary goals of any product mounted in this area of the vehicle. To say they are "not the same kind of product" thus strikes me as a tremendously misleading statement without some serious qualification. Nerf bars like Huey uses now, RR's Super Sliders, RR's Rock Rails, 4xG's Side Guards ... they're all essentially doing the same thing.

Are they exactly the same products? Of course not. But are they the same types of products? I'd say they absolutely are.

So what are the differences?

1. Both RR's and 4xG's products can be used for side jacking points (nerf bars aren't all created equal in this regard, but I imagine Huey's can certainly be used this way). I believe the Side Guards, however, are the only one of these products to have built-in gusseted slots that "hold" a HiLift-type jack in place; all the rest, on the other hand, only have a smooth surface to jack against. The difference here is that the smooth surfaces are liable to result in the jack falling out at the most inopportune and often dangerous time -- something I've actually seen happen on the trail.

2. RR's Sliders stick out horizontally further from the body, meaning that if your vehicle actually fell over sideways into a rock they'll do a better job than the Side Guards in protecting the body above the rocker panel. RR's Rock Rails do the least good in this regard. 4xG's product -- and some nerf bars -- are in the medium range. (Nobody makes a "stinger" that mounts on the side of the Commander!)

3. RR's Sliders and Rock Rails, as well as all the nerf bars I've seen, all mount off holes drilled into the frame. This kind of mounting means you're lowering your ground clearance at the breakover angle, which is already the weakest link in the Commander's off-road capabilities. 4xG's Side Guards are the only product that not only doesn't lower this clearance but actually raises it in comparison to stock.

4. With the exception of RR's Rock Rails, all the products discussed here -- RR's Sliders, 4xG's Side Guards, and most nerf bars -- can be utilized as a step. They aren't all equal, though: all but the Side Guards are extended "tubes" one way or another. For many folks it's a non-issue, but as a dog owner I don't want a gap between the step and the vehicle. Too many pets have had legs broken by trying to clamber into a vehicle and having a paw slip through the slot.

Like all the accessory decisions we make, there's give-and-take. No product is perfect. We make our choices based on our own personal experiences and tastes. In all my years of Jeeping, I've never once dropped my vehicle on its side. If you do this regularly, though, you might want to get RR's Super Sliders (or, you know, drive better). While I'm always anxious to maximize my clearance, maybe you don't care. Maybe you don't have a dog and only care about having a really low step. So then perhaps you'll choose a product that fits that route. Maybe you just like the looks of one product or another. So go with it.

I just want everyone to be able to make their own decisions with all the pertinent facts in hand.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
El Cid said:
2. RR's Sliders stick out horizontally further from the body, meaning that if your vehicle actually fell over sideways into a rock they'll do a better job than the Side Guards in protecting the body above the rocker panel. RR's Rock Rails do the least good in this regard. 4xG's product -- and some nerf bars -- are in the medium range. (Nobody makes a "stinger" that mounts on the side of the Commander!)
And therefore are NOT the same type of product. And since your father manufactures the 4xG's Side Guards I can understand you trying to promote them but don't say they are the same when they are not.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
3. RR's Sliders and Rock Rails, as well as all the nerf bars I've seen, all mount off holes drilled into the frame. This kind of mounting means you're lowering your ground clearance at the breakover angle, which is already the weakest link in the Commander's off-road capabilities. 4xG's Side Guards are the only product that not only doesn't lower this clearance but actually raises it in comparison to stock.
I would like to clear this up some more. With RR Sliders you only lose clearance under door jam. The sliders are equal to the frame of my JC which is the lowest point. Just thought I would throw that out there.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I've used the Rocky Road sliders for a few years now and they have done very well on the rocky trails in Moab. What I like about them is the extra bar that sticks out at an upward angle. That has saved my lower doors on a few trips. Also, my kids love them because the make a great step for them (and the wife) to get in and out. They can be a little slippery when wet with the poweder coated finish but the kids have adapted. What I dont like is that the sit below the black plastic trim. The 4xG does a nice job at replacing the plastic trim along the bottom and making it appear as part of the vehicle. Not sure about wieght differences but I know the sliders are very heavy and very solid body armor. If I could blend the two products, that would be ideal. Flush mounted agains the body and the extra bar to provide extra protection and a nice step. The RR sliders bolt along the body seam and also to the frame.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very well said, Phunkey. And great pictures, too. You're absolutely right that the absolute ideal would have the horizontal stretch of the Super Sliders and the vertical clearance (and solid top-surface form) of the Side Guards. (They'd also contain compressed air cylinders and other goodies, too, but I digress.) I can only talk to the 4xG side of things on why the Side Guards don't extend much further: the further out you stretch, the more leverage is working against the mounting points. It's a give-and-take, and from an engineering standpoint Russ was trying to hit the sweet spot of all uses. (He may have succeeded or failed in this depending on each individual's perspective, which is how it should be.)

That's right, Uber. The lost ground clearance is between the frame and the edge of the guard/bar/slider. I'd have to run the numbers to figure out what percentage of your underbody this constitutes when added up. Probably about a third of it. In off-roading terms, however, this is the area that gets hit most predominantly since one tends to "tire-up" on most obstacles.

5253, by your logic my polo shirt and my t-shirt are not the same type of product. (The polo, after all, has a collar that can be raised to protect my neck, which the t-shirt lacks.) That doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it's an issue of semantics regarding the word "type." So be it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would rather have one that replaces the black rocker mldg. altogether. How is the fitment of the 4XGUARD as it follows the rocker? Do they look out of place?

·
Registered
419 Posts
The 4xGuard Side Guards do just that, Smitty. They replace the OEM molding completely (except that, as noted above, they don't extend down as far to the ground).

As for how they look, you can see some pictures of the Grand Cherokee version mounted on my Commander in the Side Guard thread. As discussed more recently in that thread, there's finally a Commander version on the way, which should be available very soon. It will mount up just the same as the WK version, but it'll fit to our body style, meaning no gaps or anything.

I'm guessing they'll be out in just a few weeks at this point, since the buy order has been submitted. I'll obviously post pictures and such of the install and fitment as soon as it happens.

(Just as a forewarning, my XK doesn't look nearly as radical as Phunkey's does; that hood scoop of his rocks the rocks.)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
What kind of guarantee does the 4xGuard Side Guards offer? Rocky Road Super Sliders guarantee they won't bend, period, and if one does manage to bend one, they will replace it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
4xGuard has pretty much a single standard limited warranty for all of its products. It's an industry boilerplate sort of thing, not the kind of product-specific guarantee that Rocky Road has for its Rock rails and Super Sliders.

I've heard a lot from 4xG about how they try everything reasonable to keep their customers happy with their purchases, and I've heard the same from some customers themselves on forums (and a few on the trails), but I can't hardly claim knowledge of all the details. So take that for whatever it's worth.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I think with RR, it depends on what bends. The 2" slider section most certainly will not bend. But I have bent the 1" stock that extends to the inner unibody rail. I suppose they might replace or repair my slider, but after my own experience with them and reading the experiences others have had with them, I'd hesitate to go through the effort to remove it and the cost to ship it to them. I'd prefer to cut off the original 1" mounting bars and replace them with 1"x2" rectangular stock, and add one for a total of three per side. I'm probably going to remove them and give them to my brother to cut down and re-mount on his '98 ZJ. By next year, I'd like to have some 4xguard rocker protection for the clearance they offer. The RR sliders are a mixed bag - they are strong and take plenty of abuse, but much of the abuse they take is because they hang low and have reduced the rocker area clearance further.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts