Jeep Commander Forum banner

Roll mitagation and stability control..tested today

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  JJSEBASTIAN 
#1 · (Edited)
And passed with flying colors!:cool:

My wife was driving along in the middle lane of a 3 lane parkway at around 65-70mph when an idiot started to briskly and suddenly move into her lane (no signals and no warning). She had nowhere to go but to her right. She jerked the steering wheel hard to the right in reaction.

I've personally witnessed this happen on two occasions, both involving women drivers in SUVs...both times the SUVs went into an end over end tumble.

She said the she went over and crossed into the lane to her right and then onto the shoulder, then overcorrected back to her left. She could feel the tires come off the ground. She cant explain what happened next because it happened so fast but she says she heard some buzzing, ticking and whiring noises and the Commander just corrected itself and she was able to regain control. I am pretty certian that without these features the Jeep would have rolled after the overcorrection, if not after the initial sudden turn to the right.

Thank goodness for the roll mitigation and stability controls on the Jeep Commander. I feel it saved my wife's life or kept her from serious injury.

I just wanted to pass this along.

See less See more
#6 ·
That makes me happy. That is why I bought the Commander for my wife in the first place. Second was for the Hemi and 4 wheel drive system which works very well.:D

#8 ·
Daytomann said:
Thank goodness for the roll mitagation and stability controls on the Jeep Commander. I feel it saved my wife's life or kept her from serious injury.
Just remember this down the road when you are considering trading or selling your XK.

#11 ·
I once took an exit of the Henry Hudson Parkway (NYC) too fast as I didn't expect the exit to be so tight and curved. I slipped but stability control thing went off and slowed me down. It scared the bejesus out of me... Way too close of a call... and it was all my fault.

#12 ·
I always wonder when I'll get too close to the edge... is the stability control affected by lifts or taller tires?

#13 ·
PolarBZ said:
I always wonder when I'll get too close to the edge... is the stability control affected by lifts or taller tires?
To a certain extent... you are raising your center of gravity which means those systems will have to kick in a bit sooner.

#15 ·
When I bought my Commander last September (19500 trouble free miles BTW:D ) I was coming out of a 2001 Saab Viggin, basically Saabs version of an M-3. Let me tell you that I had to adjust my driving style, and I got into the Roll Mitigation just about every time I took a sharp turn or exit ramp..... Havent hit it at all for about 11 months, but am glad to know it is there. I thought it was smoke & mirrors untill I felt the strange hand that seemed to strategically tap my brakes, cut back on power and 'settle' my vehicle back down on 4 wheels. Helps me feel comfortable when my wife drives the Commander as she is used to zipping aound in her 325......

Reactions: LunaSea831
#16 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone!

I read about the roll mitigation and stability control features in the owners manual when we first bought the Jeep. I thought, "well thats pretty cool" but never gave it much thought. You never think that things like this will happen to you but it does. Let me tell you guys, rest assured THIS STUFF WORKS. Obviously, its not going to be a safe keep from every type of accident but it works extremely well for its designed intents and purposes. In this case it totally avoided a rollover that would have definately happened had these systems not been in place.

I got the owners manual out and read about the systems again. After reading, it all made perfect sense. The sensors monitor your speed and steering inputs, along with the pitch and yaw relative to current speed. If the sensors go off due to surpasing the "safe" parameters set up in the system then the safety systems will do all of, or part of, the following..cut power and/or (the realy cool part)..its knows if you are in an overcorrecting or undercorrecting situation and it will apply brakes to one or more brakes at various pressure to help settle the vehicle. Thats what happened in this instance. VERY good stuff.

Thanks again!!

#18 ·
I keep trying to get mine to engage the stability control but I guess I'm too much of a pansy to get that far. My inner "stability control" stops me from it. =)

#19 ·
I'm trying to turn all of that stuff of so I can go play in the snow. I know most of it is turned off by holding the ESP / whatever button but it is good to know when I'm not prepared to play, my commander is looking out for me in that type of situation. Glad everything works as it should and I hope she never has to test it again!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.