Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what angle on a hill I can take my XK and drive horizontally? It's stock except for the engine mods. Just wanted to know when it would want to roll.:eek:

Thanks
db

·
Registered
37 Posts
One way to find out. Find the biggest, nastiest hill and climb it. Or go to the Jeep web site and look for the angles. Well this is from the Jeep site. “Ground Clearance - Break over Angle [DEG] 20.7. Ground Clearance - Departure Angle [DEG] 27.0. Ground Clearance - Approach Angle [DEG] 34.2.” It will probably climb damn near any grade of hill you can find. Just make sure it's point it straight up the hill and it will not tip over. Off camber is a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
XK-Hemi said:
One way to find out. Find the biggest, nastiest hill and climb it. Or go to the Jeep web site and look for the angles. Well this is from the Jeep site. “Ground Clearance - Break over Angle [DEG] 20.7. Ground Clearance - Departure Angle [DEG] 27.0. Ground Clearance - Approach Angle [DEG] 34.2.” It will probably climb damn near any grade of hill you can find. Just make sure it's point it straight up the hill and it will not tip over. Off camber is a different story.
I went and read up on Break-over angle and it wasn't what I originally thought. Break-Over is where the Jeep will get high centered. I couldn't find anything about at what angle it would actually flip over itself.

And I also reread the original post and see that he said he's driving horizontally, not vertically, to the hill - so thats another angel all-together. I'm not going to test it in MY XK, but if someone has the numbers, I'd be curious about that too.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Supposedly, the side slope angle the Commander can successfully navigate is "the same as the LR3, but less than the H2" ... which means that it's somewhere between 30-35 degrees, and less than 40 degrees, depending on which angle the LR3 can actually do.

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
And of course, if you raise it up at all, I'm sure that angle decreases...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Where and how the cargo is loaded, as well as weight of cargo will also change the angle at which the vehicle will tip or not. I doubt you will find any solid numbers regarding this because there are too many variables that would affect the actual roll-over angle. Anything that would change the center of gravity would change the angle. Even how much fuel was in the tank would affect it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Personally I think you need to leave the High Marking to the snowmobiles and four wheelers. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
My experience in offroading is that you will "chicken out" before the jeep reaches the rollover angle. You would be amazed at how MUCH pitch you THINK you have as compared to reality. That being said, a common rule in offroading is ALWAYS approach a hill straight up and if you have to back straight down. Attempting to turn around can be very hazardous, especially downhill as the weight of the jeep is moving toward the bottom of the slope. john

·
Registered
230 Posts
My buddy had an older toyota pick-up truck, and it had this gauge pod with one that would warn you before you reached a certain angle. I agree, the point at which you become very nervous was well within 30 degrees! I have attached some info here on it since it can be added to any vehicle.

Toyota Clinometer

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
XK-Hemi said:
It will probably climb damn near any grade of hill you can find. Just make sure it's point it straight up the hill and it will not tip over.
That would then be a vertical climb. He asked about what angle he can drive horizontally. What angle can it take to the side (rollover).

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
On some of the military vehicles (LMTVS and such), they have a little device like a level that reads the angel and is supposed to help you not roll over. Its not nearly as big as the clinometer - but I dont think its adjustable either - and it just does the horizontal angel, not the vertical - I wonder if I could get one and install it in the Jeep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Red, the last I checked you can “roll over” forward, backwards, or even sideways. I was simply expanding on what he had asked. So thank you for your 2 cent input. Maybe you could have just answered his question instead of reading everyone’s posts and picking out what you dont like. But hey, I’m sure that you pointing out that I didn’t answer his question to your liking helped out db’s question.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Also, looking on Ebay, I saw that they have clinometers for Jeeps too. They were for the CJs and others, but if they work on those, I'm sure they could be modded to work for the XK too.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
XK-Hemi said:
Hey Red, the last I checked you can “roll over” forward, backwards, or even sideways. I was simply expanding on what he had asked. So thank you for your 2 cent input. Maybe you could have just answered his question instead of reading everyone’s posts and picking out what you dont like. But hey, I’m sure that you pointing out that I didn’t answer his question to your liking helped out db’s question.
First, side to side is rolling over. End over end is flipping.

Second, I don't have his answer, I was just saying that you didn't answer his question, in case you thought that you had, which could help the OP if you had the other information as well.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
230 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Also, looking on Ebay, I saw that they have clinometers for Jeeps too. They were for the CJs and others, but if they work on those, I'm sure they could be modded to work for the XK too.
I am almost 100% certain they will work on any vehicle since they are purely mechanical in nature - no wiring necessary (except for backlighting).

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I'm sure you are right, now I've been looking around and I think I'm just going to get a a couple of simple ball/tube tilt guages and mount them appropriately. Cheaper.

·
Banned
94 Posts
RedCommander said:
First, side to side is rolling over. End over end is flipping.

Second, I don't have his answer, I was just saying that you didn't answer his question, in case you thought that you had, which could help the OP if you had the other information as well.

Have a great day.
Err...nope. Again.

Angle was already posted.

Glad you've decided to just jump on everyone today. Maybe you should take your Commander out for a nice drive instead of posting...

Your pal,
Meat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I looked at the LR3, I was driven over their little off-road experience that they have at the local dealership. I can attest to the fact that most people will chicken out before you get to the maximum cross-slope the Commander can traverse. We were at the point where I could look out of the window and see straight down below me. I kept thinking we'd roll, but the damn LR3 was planted. If the Commander can negotiate a steeper cross-slope than the LR3, then it's going to be way beyond what I experienced that day.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Legalninja said:
When I looked at the LR3, I was driven over their little off-road experience that they have at the local dealership. I can attest to the fact that most people will chicken out before you get to the maximum cross-slope the Commander can traverse. We were at the point where I could look out of the window and see straight down below me. I kept thinking we'd roll, but the damn LR3 was planted. If the Commander can negotiate a steeper cross-slope than the LR3, then it's going to be way beyond what I experienced that day.
I don't believe it can negotiate a steeper cross slope than the LR3. I was told it could negotiate the same angle, which is around 30-35 degrees.

Your pal,
Meat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts