Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just was driving around in some light mud/dirt roads and when I got back on pavement I found a weird sound from the XK.

It sounds as if a rock or something has gotten caught somewhere and now when I start and stop it sounds like the rock rolls forward and backward somewhere making a clunking sound as it hits the front/back.

I have looked everywhere and can't find it but I know it is somewhere by my front driver's side. Has this happened to anyone else or does anybody have any ideas on where it could be?

Or could this be another problem entirely? It really sounds like a rock or something roling around though, not like something broken...

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I just powerwashed the wheel wells and as much of the underside as I could get too. I though I had more quarters, I only got 5 minutes... I pulled out though and the sound is still there. It is definitely something rolling around up front but as much as I try to pinpoint from where I can't.

This sound is killing me, any suggestions? I hope nothing's broken.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Probably the bushings, there are several threads about this since they fail prematurely.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well is doesn't happen as i go over bumps or turn...

Only when I brake or accelerate it sounds as if something is rolling forward and backward respectively.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked there. I also noticed it rolling side to side yesterday in turns.

The good thing is in my way to the dealer to fix another warranty issue (broken vent) it seems to have fallen out. No idea what it was but I'm glad its gone. That thing was annoying as hell!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's back...

I thought it fell out when I was literally on my way to the dealer. I need to get back to the dealer though to pick up a new vent and suppose I'll have them look at it while its there.

If they start by looking for a loose bolt or something (warranty issue) and it ends up neing a rock though will I get charged for that?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If they start by looking for a loose bolt or something (warranty issue) and it ends up neing a rock though will I get charged for that?
Depends on their customer relations, they can charge you for any non-warranty work or diagnosis, but will they? who knows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does nayone know of any compartments, ruts, or spaces that a rock can get stuck in the engine bay? They sound is fairly high as if its under the wipers, near the back of the engine or front of the dash,

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Does nayone know of any compartments, ruts, or spaces that a rock can get stuck in the engine bay? They sound is fairly high as if its under the wipers, near the back of the engine or front of the dash,
Maybe in the cowl (the black piece at the bottom of the windshield where the air comes in).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe in the cowl (the black piece at the bottom of the windshield where the air comes in).
You sir, deserve a pat on the back, My dealership deserves a kick in the nuts.

I never mentioned that I just bought the commander a month ago. The sound has never appeared until after I played around in some mud, never on a test drive nor the first 3.5 weeks of driving it.

So I looked under the cowl and what do I find? A hydraulic prop for the right side of the hood. I never noticed it wasn't there, the left one was holding up the hood just fine. My guess is that the piece was forgotten there someday, somehow.

I'm still going to the dealership Monday to give them the car to fix the vent and put a new hood prop now on as well as have them look over the rest of the car to find any other B.S. I can't believe it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts