Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer threw in a set of roof rails. They had to order them and my salesman dropped them off last night. Does anyone have the installation instructions? I installed the ones on my 04 Special edition, but I sure don't want to break a trim piece putting these on. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That'e what I needed.

Thank you very much.

Regrds,

Chuck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Holy smokes I hope you didn't take the existing side bars and rear grab handles off to install it like that PDF said!?? To install the cross members, all you have to do is loosen the knobs on the ends, until the L shaped bars come down. Slide the tower portion over to the end. Chack the stickers on them to make sure you put the front and the back bars facing the right direction and in the right location, and slip them into the groove of the side bars in the front and in the back. Adjust for location. Tighten down on the knobs until it doesn't slide anymore. Done.

·
Registered
261 Posts
He said Roof Rails, not cross bars.;)

Although, I have not seen a Commander w/o Roof Rails. I thought it's a standard option. :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The cross bars are what I am trying to install. On the 04 GC, you had to pop the plastic end caps off and slide them into the rails. I will try loosing the knobs and installing them as soon as the wife gets home from work. Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dabitz, can you provide me sme info as to where you bought the chrome for the rails?
Besides the dealership.

TIA

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the assistance. Bars went on without a hitch. I had tried before to get them on by unscrewing the tensioners but did not loosen them enough. It is a much easier install than the WJ.

The help was appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW, I have seen at least one Commander without roof bars or rails. But it was moving the other direction so I didn't get a good close look at what other options may have been missing. Maybe it was one of the (ultra) rare 2wd Commander base models or an early 07 "Sport" stripper.

DaimlerChrysler did the same thing with the first gen. Durango. After going on and on at launch about how they "hid" the stepped roof behind the roof rack, they dumped the rack on the base models in the 2nd year.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts