Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a roof cargo basket, since we take long road trips, and I don't want to put the cargo bag directly on the roof. My short list of cargo baskets are Yakima Loadwarrior or Megawarrior, Thule, or the Mopar Jeep rack.

The Jeep rack is about $300 more than any other. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with one of these baskets? Any other suggestions? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the loadwarrior w/ extension mounted to the factory crossbars. It's worked well, but I haven't put more than 50 lbs on it. Roof racks add a lot to the look of the Commander.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bobby- do you have any pics of that rack on the commander?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Yakima Megawarrior and it is great! I have had about 150 pounds loaded using the cargo net and a few extra bungee cords with no problems. And yes, it also looks great and receives compliments.....:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I saw that thread, and I like the look of the Yak. I think the Mopar model may have a lower profile, which would help with my garage door, in case I wanted to keep the rack on permanently.

The mopar stuff online only shows a closeup of the rack. I checked with the local dealership to see if they had one in stock that we could mock up and they laughed (they only have three Commanders on the lot right now - not great support).

I'll probably go with the Yak, for cost more than anything. It's got that Light Recon Vehicle look that suits the Commander well.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Keep us posted if you find a deal out there. I am looking for similar as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the ORU Defender basket, which I prefer b/c it's a welded one-piece, making it stronger than most of the other racks. That being said, I really hate the mounting kit that ORU makes for the basket, and don't like the wide factory bars enough to get mounts for the basket that work with them. Easy enough, I'll be adding in a couple of weeks some yakima risers and round cross-bars, and will attach the basket to those, giving it a much better look and firmer stance.

!c

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
SYCOHEMI said:
Every Commander is a true offroad vehicle! ;)
Not those I have seen around lowered, with pimped out wheels, 24" spinners and stroller wheels... They do look good for clubing though! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dabitz said:
Not those I have seen around lowered, with pimped out wheels, 24" spinners and stroller wheels... They do look good for clubing though! :D
Hmm, you must be strong if you can pick up a commander and club someone with it =) jk

!c

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the Yakima Loadwarrior, with extension. I'll try and post an install pic series when it gets here. Here's what I found, after calling a couple of online sites with installation centers:

Yakima Loadwarrior looks best with the extension. Common opinion is that it looks too small without the extension. Nobody has done an installation with a megawarrior on a Commander.

Volume Jeep dealer said he's only sold one mopar rack in two years, and it was part of a package. He didn't recommend it.

Thule MOAB is very similar to the loadwarrior. For a few extra dollars, you get an extra pair of top crossbars that you can use like your stock crossbars. Hadn't done any installations. Most people chose the Yakima, because it has a spare tire hold-down adapter.

Thule has a new model, which is available in two sizes. The name escapes me, but it looks more modern than a big basket. The bigger of the two is the same size as the loadwarrior. The profile is a few inches lower, but it has a hard time mounting to the stock Jeep crossrails. He recommended replacing them with Thule rails if I went that route. It ads significantly to the cost.

That's what I learned, driving my wife nuts with compulsive research. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
surfdogs said:
I ordered the Yakima Loadwarrior, with extension. I'll try and post an install pic series when it gets here. Here's what I found, after calling a couple of online sites with installation centers:

Yakima Loadwarrior looks best with the extension. Common opinion is that it looks too small without the extension. Nobody has done an installation with a megawarrior on a Commander.

Volume Jeep dealer said he's only sold one mopar rack in two years, and it was part of a package. He didn't recommend it.

Thule MOAB is very similar to the loadwarrior. For a few extra dollars, you get an extra pair of top crossbars that you can use like your stock crossbars. Hadn't done any installations. Most people chose the Yakima, because it has a spare tire hold-down adapter.

Thule has a new model, which is available in two sizes. The name escapes me, but it looks more modern than a big basket. The bigger of the two is the same size as the loadwarrior. The profile is a few inches lower, but it has a hard time mounting to the stock Jeep crossrails. He recommended replacing them with Thule rails if I went that route. It ads significantly to the cost.

That's what I learned, driving my wife nuts with compulsive research. Hope it helps.
I would suggest replacing the factory cross-bars with yakima or thule 'round' bars and control towers. They just look better, IMO. Last week I had a set of yakima bars, landing pads, and control towers put on (you need to buy some washers for the landing pads, as the square plates they ship w/ are too small to reliably hold in the rack channel - extra cost of $1) - and they look great. Had to take off the basket as it was too short to hold my kayak well, and just mounted the saddles directly on the cross bars.

If you want the round look and want to save money, you can just buy the landing pads/control towers and then go to home depot and get some black conduit pipe - same dimensions and much cheaper. (I need the better coating for the salt water I encounter... found the conduit pipe rusted faster than anything.)

!c

·
Registered
132 Posts
To Each Their Own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drone, do the Yak bars have a lower profile? I bought the rack mainly for traveling, but when I installed it last night, I wound up taller than my 80" garage door. I'm off by 2-3 inches. I wouldl like the option of keeping it on full time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drone-curious how you got the Yakima or Thule bars to fit into or onto the factory side rails. I keep checking their website for a fit kit to replace the factory cross bars with Yakima or Thule and havent found a fit kit that works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
surfdogs: unlikely, even the lowrider towers (which I'm not sure work w/ the commander) sit about the same height as the factory cross bars. I got the standard landing pads / control towers which sit a few inches higher. Thule might have something lower, but I've only used their strap attachments before.

spenser: I used the landing pads #5, their width is perfect, but the square plates they come w/ are too small to hold with much pressure on them (they have no more than a mm or two of grip under the edges of the channel). So, you can get some flat washers that are about 1 1/4" across, then place those between the square plates and the landing pads, and it works perfectly. by-the-by -- save yourself a lot of trouble, don't try to slide them in from the ends -- you'll have to disassemble the entire channel to do so. It's actually easier to just put them into place and hold them there while you screw them in =)

!c

1 - 20 of 52 Posts