Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been playing around with the idea of making a Light bar that mounts to the roof rail like the stock ones. I looked every where for a 1"x2"x6' or 1"x3"x6' piece of aluminum/steel. Everything I found was $50-$100. I went to Harbor Freight and got this..

It's 1"x2 1/2" I'm gonna cut it to about 52"

It's hollow so I can run the wires inside. And the end caps pop off so I can put them back on after I cut and paint it for a nice finished look.

Oh! The best part it was only $16.99!!

·
2,248 Posts
Not only is it inexpensive, but you can use it as an inclineometer by sticking your head out the sunroof.....lol

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Innovation is one of the things that makes this such a great forum. Looking forward to your finished project.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is a clever idea. Stick it up there for a mock up and snap some photos. Curious about the scale/length and mounting. Probably have some wind buffeting to work out. Like a49er said these are the mods that make this forum. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went and got some lights at Auto zone $49.98 + tax. I got some hardware from Lowes $14. All I need now is some paint. I'm thinking a flat black or maybe bed liner spray. Oh someone is going to have to give me a wiring diagram for a 4 light setup lol. I know nothing about wiring lights. Total so far $83 bucks! Here are a few pics.

Cut to size.

Some hardware to mount it.

Lights on the bar. Lol still looks like a level !

Up on the commander. Just on the roof. It will be a bit higher when I put it on the rubber grommets.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When its painted I think it will look good!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That is looking rally cool.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Keep us posted, I'm looking to do something similar.

·
Registered
422 Posts
very cool innovation. Cant wait to see the finish...looking to do something similar as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a very good idea.
I was thinking of getting the same lights, but just mounting them to the under side of my front roof rack cross bar.
The wiring is the only thing stopping me.
I'm not sure how to run it into the cab.
I don't want to make a hole where rain water can get in.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A few pics of how I mounted it to the truck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sweet. I'll be watching this as it progresses.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I painted it and wired it. I havent wired the truck yet (maybe later today).
Her are a few more pics.

This paint looks just like the ome bars.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All the lights on it.

Put a plug on it for easy removal.

On the truck.

I think it looks pretty good!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Amazing, I used the same four flat plug for my lights as well.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They were out of stock on the two wire plug and I cant wait for anything. So I got the four lol.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
They were out of stock on the two wire plug and I cant wait for anything. So I got the four lol.
You might want to consider putting your two outside lights on one set and your two inside lights on another in case you are in a situation where you want light but maybe not all of them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts