Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roof is starting to do a rust/pit that is causing the roof paint to split open. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
@hogwash;

Oh wow, I've never seen or heard of that happening before.

Looks like it's rusting from underneath the paint causing the paint dimple up, crack and eventually chip; so apparently, I'd guess that water has gotten underneath your paint job in that area somehow, causing the metal underneath to rust.

You definitely have some major body/paint work in front of you to fix that - you can only hope that it's contained to that one area and not spread throughout the entire roof.

I would take that to a professional paint/body shop and see what they have to say about it, I'd also ask for a quote to have it repaired while you're at it - the quote shouldn't cost you anything but your time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've heard about it happening to others. It seems like the front edge of the roof is more susceptible to wear than the rest of the paint; mine isn't rusting but the clear coat is significantly more faded than the rest.

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
I've heard about it happening to others. It seems like the front edge of the roof is more susceptible to wear than the rest of the paint; mine isn't rusting but the clear coat is significantly more faded than the rest.
I'd say the roof in general, is more susceptible to weathering because it is a large horizontal surface with constant exposure to the elements, sun, rain and what have you - add that to the fact, that most people won't get up on a ladder to clean & wax the roof regularly - and it's even more problematic if you have a roof rack to try and clean underneath, so, I could see the roof clear-coat pealing/flaking off and the paint fading.

But I've never seen a Commander with the front of the roof bubbling up and rusting like that, up 'til now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take that to a professional paint/body shop and see what they have to say about it, I'd also ask for a quote to have it repaired while you're at it - the quote shouldn't cost you anything but your time.
Yeah, I guess that is going to be my next step... check a few places and see if they have any opinion of fix/cost. I am seriously thinking of selling while I can still get something out of the vehicle and letting someone else deal with this.

I know I'm way out of the warranty period but does anyone think this is something Fiat/Jeep would potentially cover as a defect?

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
Yeah, I guess that is going to be my next step... check a few places and see if they have any opinion of fix/cost. I am seriously thinking of selling while I can still get something out of the vehicle and letting someone else deal with this.

I know I'm way out of the warranty period but does anyone think this is something Fiat/Jeep would potentially cover as a defect?
No harm in trying I guess.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You're not likely to get any help from Fiat-Chrysler. The best you could have ever hoped for,was a few years ago, you could have went to the dealership. If you had a good relationship with them and spent lots of money, they could have probably met you halfway on the price. That would have been about it.
Life expectancy of automotive paint is usually about 7 years on a daily driver, that sits out in the sun all day.Nothing is indefinite.
You do need to get that fixed though. That's going to get worse quick.
You could take it to a body shop and have a mil gauge put on it when you get an estimate to see if it's been painted before. Hopefully it wasn't some repaired hail damage job or something.
But no matter,what I would de-trim the whole roof ,take all the glass out, remove the upper windshield molding and strip that roof to the metal. Rust never sleeps.
Once you get the whole roof to the metal, you can blast those rust areas. Then apply some acid etching primer and you're good to go. Seal and paint.
You're looking anywhere from $1500 to $2000 to fix that. Hopefully that's not from prior repairs.Where there is body work and or hail damage underneath it.
You might find some shop to patch it up for half of that. But you better get rid of it quickly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Very strange. In the 3rd picture there are 4 or more marks equidistant across the roof. Looks like this hit or scraped against something. The roof is phosphated & e-coated like the rest of the body. Regardless, it needs fixing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very strange. In the 3rd picture there are 4 or more marks equidistant across the roof. Looks like this hit or scraped against something. The roof is phosphated & e-coated like the rest of the body. Regardless, it needs fixing.
I bought the Jeep brand new with 7 miles on it. It has never been hit/scraped/etc on the top and every couple of months when i poke up there, there are more spots. The frequency of the spots decreases as you move to the back but there is a spot as far back as the third row.

I have not been back to the dealership I bought it from since purchase so definitely a long shot to get them to do anything.

Would keeping the car inside the garage slow down/stop the rate of decline? I think the blue book is $5k-ish (86k miles) and dumping in a potential $2k into this has me looking toward selling it and hoping someone with paint/bodywork access buys it. i'll try to stop by a few local shops this coming week and see what the they think.

Thanks for details @Spraygun That gives me a good ball park of what would need done.

Reactions: G_unitXK

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
@hogwash, has your sunroof and/or your sunlights over the 2nd row been leaking? If water has been getting in them and getting between the roof liner and roof, it may be rusting from the inside.

Reactions: Swampghost

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@hogwash, has your sunroof and/or your sunlights over the 2nd row been leaking? If water has been getting in them and getting between the roof liner and roof, it may be rusting from the inside.
Not that I have ever seen. The only thing I noticed was a couple of years ago when I backed out and turned, I heard water run back and forth on the top headliner area. I read up that there are drain channels that run down and out the bottom of door area. It is definitely possible that water was sitting in that area and its causing rust from inside.

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
Not that I have ever seen. The only thing I noticed was a couple of years ago when I backed out and turned, I heard water run back and forth on the top headliner area. I read up that there are drain channels that run down and out the bottom of door area. It is definitely possible that water was sitting in that area and its causing rust from inside.
I guarantee you that your sunroof has leaked. It is a very well known problem with Commanders. The drain tubes get clogged up. And if you heard water sloshing around then it was clogged up. Usually you will have water dripping from the screw cover on the grab handles. It has happened to me and I have heard the water sloshing around also. Fortunately, I have not had your problem with the paint. Search the forum for "sunroof" and you will see.

Reactions: G_unitXK

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
Also, if you put "paint bubbling" in the forum search you will find a few threads on that. But none of them are concerning the roof.

·
Administrator
6,712 Posts
Yes, this has happened on my 06; also on the hood
@Cephasa1;

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Also, please take the time to post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section shown below;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
Howdy, glad to be part of the community. I have a 06 Commander with 127k miles; very reliable since purchasing new.
@Cephasa1 Welcome to the Forum! This is not the proper place for your post. Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have a couple rust bubbles on mine by the windshield. This video will be the basis for my own repair. Hope it helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts