Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not fixing it unless it won't pass inspection and even then, prob just sell it as is. There are more spots than when originally posted it and the spots in question are rusted more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My roof is starting to do a rust/pit that is causing the roof paint to split open. Has this happened to anyone?

My Commander is now doing the same thing and its getting worse fast! My mechanic told me it is a "jeep" thing and it's not under any recall.

·
Administrator
6,699 Posts
My Commander is now doing the same thing and its getting worse fast! My mechanic told me it is a "jeep" thing and it's not under any recall.
@KellyA

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Also, kindly take the time to post an introduction to the forum in the New Member Section shown below;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2007 had a similar problem and I didn't realize it until the windshield needed replacement. When they took the windshield out, there was a large seam of about 8-10" right under the seal where it was entirely rusted through! I found a local shop that really helped me out and did the repair for less than $1k. Long and short - we should all be looking closely at the top of the windshield area to assess if there is any sign of rust!

·
Administrator
6,699 Posts
My 2007 had a similar problem and I didn't realize it until the windshield needed replacement. When they took the windshield out, there was a large seam of about 8-10" right under the seal where it was entirely rusted through! I found a local shop that really helped me out and did the repair for less than $1k. Long and short - we should all be looking closely at the top of the windshield area to assess if there is any sign of rust!
Funny you should mention that @DuxDweller;

I actually re-sealed that whole entire line along the top of the front windshield with a specific brand of ATV sealant that the dealership recommended to me about 3 years ago.

It looked like the factory really skimped on sealant in that particular area along the top of the front windshield.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@Big Blue It also may have been (in my case) that there was some of the dreaded sunroof leaking from clogged drains over the years. I suspect water leaks down into that area along the front of the windshield and rusts it out from the inside as well!!

·
Administrator
6,699 Posts
@Big Blue It also may have been (in my case) that there was some of the dreaded sunroof leaking from clogged drains over the years. I suspect water leaks down into that area along the front of the windshield and rusts it out from the inside as well!!
Yep; that sounds feasible to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had same issue with my commander. Previous owner lived on the east coast so I thaught that might have had somthing to do with it, cause it was bad. Few months back I sanded it and painted it but im planning to get it rhino lined, i think thatl be best cure. Iv seen it happn once on a jeep cherokee but no where else.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts