Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I promised I would post a build of a roof rack and here goes nothing....

Bought all my material at the local steel yard:

1 1/2” Square tubing 14ga
1” Square tubing 14ga
#9-3/4 steel expanded grating
3/8 spring nuts for mounting to the
roof rails (Found this mounting solution on this forum and I tell you that I am eternally grateful for whoever came up with the idea, it works perfectly).

Material starting out
C144252D-2637-4B60-AB77-D6BCFF5C58E7.jpeg

I started measuring the rails on the roof of the Jeep and figured out that the rails do not run parallel with each other, they have about a 3”taper from rear to front (the front being wider). This is why I decided to match the taper with my rack instead of building it square, (if you build things for a living this is like short circuiting your brain haha) I had a feeling this would look better and I was correct.

I needed two cross braces for my roof top tent and a basket of some kind up front for a Plano tote that contains our diesel tent heater and other various things I don’t need frequent access to, and the left over space is for whatever else I deem necessary.

Here is the finished product on the floor, grating in place and fresh paint.

Building the rack took about 5 hours of total hands on time, it’s a very simple rack but I am very happy with how it turned out. I had a close friend come over and help me with taking the tent off the Jeep and mounting the rack and reinstalling the tent back on top.

A big concern of mine was wind noise, I had absolutely no idea how loud this thing would be at highway speed and was concerned that I may have to add a wind blocker of some kind but I took it for a spin and it is 50% quieter than the tent was by itself on the factory crossbars, I have to say I was not expecting that.

I couldnt be happier with the way it turned out, we leave for the lower San Juans and Moab at the end of next week for 12 days so it will get some good use exploring around. Again, this forum has provided some priceless info and knowledge to us in our Commander journey and thanks again to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great setup! That trip sounds amazing

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7L V8
264 Posts
That's nice! You should put it into production lol! I just ordered a plain old arksen off Amazon :(. I don't have a garage anymore lol.

·
Registered
>> 2006, BASE, 4.7L V8, QT-II, 30,000 miles and counting <<
101 Posts
That's awesome! Love how you utilized the (generally) unusable roof space above the front seats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts