Jeep Commander Forum banner

Roof Rack/Cross bars Mod

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tuckersutter014 
#1 ·
I want I want my roof rack to sit closer to the roof of my commander. I was thinking about flipping the crossbars upside down so the roof racks it's closer to my roof. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Unless you have a VERY small rack that will fit in the lowest part (center) of the upside down crossbar it won't help. A normal size rack is still going to sit on the outer ends of the crossbar which will almost still be at the same height as if it were not upside down. EDIT: After looking at the photo again it looks like you will lower the rack by maybe a couple of inches. There is a way to mount the rack directly to the side rails without the crossbars. I have seen it done here before. Do a search for it.

#3 ·
I've been wanting to go lower as well. I was thinking straight rails but don't want to add that to the rack cost. You might be on to something. Has anyone tried straightening them. Seems risky/nearly impossible without breaking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
A piece of thin 12ft unistrut is enough for 2 cross bars and the tnut hardware fits the factory mounting parallel bars. That will get you much closer with multiple mounting options to boot. $25 ish

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I took the "spacers" off of the crossbars and got some new panhead bolts. I used 1/4" 20 bolts and then used some unistrut nuts (channel nuts at home depot if i recall correctly). The bars sit pretty close to the roof. I'll take some pictures and post them here after the sun comes back up.

Edit: I was able to find one picture..... I'll take more later....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.