Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question what is the best roof rack for mounting a couple of mountain bikes to the roof. I don't know much about roof rack but I did see the oem cross bars on ebay....would that roof rack work and what hardware would I need . Thanks

·
2,248 Posts
I cannot help you with the roof rack question. I carry two bikes on a receiver mounted bike rack. It still works even with the spare tire carrier from Ross.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would think getting bikes up on the roof would be a royal pain in the tuckus (without a ladder)! Maybe consider a receiver hitch carrier like Huey.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
My thoughts are that a bike on top would be to tall and you may hit your bikes on low clearance items.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree with everyone else... I have a hitch mounted Saris rack for my bikes as well... it will hold up to four bikes

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Thule 4 bike rack....can still open rear window and it folds down to access the hatch. Yakima makes similar. Just make sure to get a good hitch lock and integrated rack lock and you will be fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Yakima MegaWarrior Basket and have 2 Yakima Copperhead Bike Carriers Mounted to it. I have the racks facing tword the rear so that I can climb up on the back bumper to put the bikes on. The bikes I put on top are pretty light weight so it isn't to hard to jump up and put them in. I also have a THULE hitch mount rack that holds four bikes...you can swing it away so you can get into the tailgate. Both work great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts