Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my roof rack on. I had to make the "crossbars" since standard ones would not allow me to get in the garage. I sort of used some ideas from EMACK and some other people and made mine out of metal tube. and made the brackets, etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ped4599/RoofRackInstall

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Looks great, I have to take my rack off this week as I cannot get into the parking garage at work with in on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am also working on a cargo rack as we speak. I went ahead and bought the brackets from Off-Road Unlimited -mainly because I can build the rack to resemble something on a production line, but I didnt want my bracketry to look homebrew. Thats just my OCD kicking in I guess. The Defender racks they sell (like the ones used on the ultimate adventure commanders) are only 16 gauge and I will use 14 so I should have a strong setup. Not to mention they are 430ish plush shipping vs me building one for -+100.00 or so. Either way, I just needed something to toss the canoe on top of and occasionally some random camping gear, I will have to get pics up when I get done.

-Jared

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jhowe2k said:
I am also working on a cargo rack as we speak. I went ahead and bought the brackets from Off-Road Unlimited -mainly because I can build the rack to resemble something on a production line, but I didnt want my bracketry to look homebrew. Thats just my OCD kicking in I guess. The Defender racks they sell (like the ones used on the ultimate adventure commanders) are only 16 gauge and I will use 14 so I should have a strong setup. Not to mention they are 430ish plush shipping vs me building one for -+100.00 or so. Either way, I just needed something to toss the canoe on top of and occasionally some random camping gear, I will have to get pics up when I get done.

-Jared

I almost bought those brackets you are talking about. I then opted to not, and instead made the ones i got now.....i believe it was COMMANDERDRONE or some one that said they had those braket but they were weak.....It was recommende by other thread to by them and use them as a template to make stronger ones using thinker metal....or find some way to reenforce the strenght of them. I would be interested to see come close of photos of those brackets if you get them on since i almost went with those. its hard to know what to route to take when you are in the planning stages of a project.

I will say this rack i got is very strong. much more than i expected and the bracket/cross bars i made a very solid. I have even crawled up on it and put al my weight on it and it didn even show any signs of movement. i weight about 220. I got the rack (with the extension) from ETRAILER.COM for 199.99.Its far better than i thought it would be for a inexpensive rack.
I full expected my wife to come home today and say something bad about my purchase, but she said, "wow that rack on there looks pretty nice.".....who would have thought.........hehe....

·
Registered
283 Posts
That looks great! No way mine fits in the garage with the rack on. But this is California, we don't use our garages for parking cars here.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'm sorry, but that toyota is ugly....and so is the rack...........I try to keep negative comments to myself but dmmmmmm..........I say that only because it is not a commander.

I like the Nissan rack and Ped's rack.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Nice job ped. Looks good. I'm with cico on that toyota rack (ugly)
. That nissan rack is nice.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with all of 4.7 welding and metal working, he would make much better brackets for mounting a rack low to the roof.....

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
ped4599 said:
with all of 4.7 welding and metal working, he would make much better brackets for mounting a rack low to the roof.....
If you give 4.7 too many ideas he will not have time for any of them :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
New owner with a few questions

Hey all.. this is my first post. I just put a deposit on a 5.7L Commander and I will be picking it up Monday. I just wanted to ask a few questions.. I am sure I will have plenty more in the future; hopefully I won't annoy too many here :)

First, just for fun, I was Googling some parts on Ebay. I noticed these "Mindblower Performance" chips. They claim to increase HP and MPG... they are also dirt cheap... Now, I have never chipped a vehicle before, but this seems like one of those "too good to be true" things... but the seller does have good feedback... so, I was just wondering if anyone had any info about these chips. Here's a link to one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-FOR-JEEP-COMMANDER-06-09-SAVE-GAS_W0QQitemZ190324074734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5032e8ee&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Second, I am planning on getting a roof rack. I like the one in this YouTube video, but I could not read what brand it is. Anyone have any ideas what rack it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j4l-PMsEYQ

Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for a new owner? I have never really gotten into off-roading, but I do live in rural Utah, so it is definitely a possibility. The vehicle is stock, but it does have nice looking chrome wheels and some brand new nice looking tires.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome. :)

As for that roof rack, it looks to my eye like a Rola. At least I thought I saw their familiar white and red logo on the driver's side of the deflector. If so, I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from getting one, as I think they're the best-built rack for the money.

Be sure to search the forum, though: there are a few threads that debate the many different rack options available to you, and the more information you have the better off you'll be!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Beat me to it, jeep5253!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts