Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Jeep roof rack cross bars on the top of my Commander. The front crossbar seems to be held in place pretty well and the rear one is loose and slides back and forth when I drive. I notice that there is a key slot on each end of these cross bars. Is a key needed to tighten or loosen these cross bars? If so, where would I find another key, as I did not get one with the purchase of this vehicle? Or if anything I would like to just take them off and put a roof rack of my choosing on. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
No key on mine, just a large tightening knob on the top of the crossbar on each side over the side rails. There are only 5 places along the side rails where the crossbar will snap into and then tighten using the knobs.
The owners manual page 169 & 170 explain the cross rails and have a picture of stock ones. You might have after market ones?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the same ones as you. No you don't need the key to tighten them up. You can pull up the rubber strip on the top and there should be a torx screw that goes down into a clip that holds it tight to the rail. Do that on both sides and you should be good. Hardest thing is getting that rubber strip back into the top. I need to see if I can get that key from somewhere. Didn't come with the jeep when I bought it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You must have the Mopar cross rails. had them on the old YK. do as XKlov said and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm assuming he probably has these: Sport Utility Bars, which in this case it does have keys.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...Or if anything I would like to just take them off and put a roof rack of my choosing on...
At least on the OE cross bars, they can be removed rather easily. The knob just tightens/loosens a "J" hook that wraps around the lip of the rail. Just loosen the knobs well past the point that you would if you just wanted to slide them to a new position, jiggle the knob a bit as you lift the crossbar and you should be able to swing the "J" hook clear of the rail lip and remove the bar on that side, repeat for the other side.

I don't know, but I suppose its possible the lockable sport bar, using the same procedure to tighten it, instead loosen the torx screws even farther might do the same as the OE crossbar and allow you to lift out of the track on the rails.

Finally, replacement keys? I suppose you could try to dissemble the sport bar enough to remove the lock cylinder, bring it to a lock smith, see if he could rekey if for you, or (depending on the lock cyclinder is constructed) you could gut the lock cylinder and any key or flat head screwdriver would turn it to unlock it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same ones as you. No you don't need the key to tighten them up. You can pull up the rubber strip on the top and there should be a torx screw that goes down into a clip that holds it tight to the rail. Do that on both sides and you should be good. Hardest thing is getting that rubber strip back into the top. I need to see if I can get that key from somewhere. Didn't come with the jeep when I bought it.

Got it fixed. Thanks for the info. I had to go buy some tamper proof Torx, but its all good now. :thanks:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Just a thought? Have you tried the ignition key in the sports bar lock? The dealer has the ability to rekey lock cylinders, and new replacement lock cylinder come without tumbler/gate open and waiting for the dealer to key it to a key, and these were a Mopar Items, I would NOT be surprised if they were keyed for your ignition key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did try the ignition key and that wasnt it. I asked the dealer I bought it from and he said they didnt have the keys. But I got it all figured out and fixed without a key.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah the key isn't necessary to tighten them down. All it does is pull the end cap off making it easier to see the bolt that needs to be tightened. As the OP said you need a secure/tamper proof hex wrench in 4mm. I found a set at harbor freight for about $5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts