Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the threads and didn't find a specific match to this so now I ask:

Has anyone removed the roof rack?

Is that any difficulties I would prepare for like seized fasteners, breaking plastic or other inside info / special tips and tricks?

I am going after some spots of roof rust along the side edges of the roof metal to the side columns (a-pillar, b-pillar, c-pillar, etc) and i want to take the rack off and do a clean and inspect.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had mine off before. I had to take it off because I changed the color of my roof. It was easy to get off. But I put some dielectric grease back on the bolt threads when I reinstalled it.
It's very possible your bolts could be rusted in place. If they use salt or chemicals to de-ice the roads where you live.I wouldn't remove the bolts by hand. Use a quick impact tool if possible. I believe it's a Torx T30. If you start off real slow breaking it lose by hand. It may twist off or strip the threads.
No matter what, you have to get that roof rack off to address your problems. I would just say go for it.
Also if your roof rails are chrome. Use some 00 steel wool on them. It will polish them up like new. And then put a good, quality wax on them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've pulled my rails off too. The plastic trim pieces can be brittle and break, and there's a decent chance you'll see some rust on the bolts. Mine has lived in California all its life with very little rust, but I had a couple bolts rusted pretty badly.

They are pretty easy to take off, though like Spraygun mentioned you'll need a Torx bit. The bolts are pretty long, so using a screwdriver takes forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts