Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 06' Commander and have noticed alot of wind noise, I realize it's not the most aerodynamic vehicle but there seems to be alot of wind noise from the roof rack, has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Wind Noise

Yes. Two options. First of all, make sure the racks are installed correctly. They are marked front and rear and there is also a leading edge on each rack that needs to point forward. if there is still wind noise, move the rack forward or rearward until the noise is gone. OR remove the roof rack. I don't use the racks regularly, so I just removed them.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Also, if you dont run your climate control on all the time, you will get wind noise around the windshield area. Simple solution is to run the air on, with out the A/C and it will go away.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Todd, you may find that the racks aren't in the quietest position. There's an addendum to the manual that says to put the racks in the first and fourth clicks from the front for the best results. (That assumes you've got the fronts facing foward.)

When I picked up my Commander in October the dealer had NO clue about that little advisory -- not sure it makes a huge difference but I don't have what I'd think of as high wind noise after about 9500 miles.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
77 Posts

... I needed the two bars only once for my xmas tree and only put them on for that. Otherwise, they are under my house, saving my fuel (weight and drag), pose no wind noise, do not interfere with my sat antenna and making life easier for the car wash :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I checked out the the roof rack positions today and set them as recomended above ( 1 and 4 ) and noticed from the side profile that the wide portion of the bar on the front rack faces foward and the rear bar is the opposite which I'm assuming is incorrect, so my question is this whats the right way to have installed? They both appear to be the same bars but I can't find any markings for front / rear or which direction they should be facing.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Todd Abbott said:
I checked out the the roof rack positions today and set them as recomended above ( 1 and 4 ) and noticed from the side profile that the wide portion of the bar on the front rack faces foward and the rear bar is the opposite which I'm assuming is incorrect, so my question is this whats the right way to have installed? They both appear to be the same bars but I can't find any markings for front / rear or which direction they should be facing.

Should say right on the top of the bar, "Front" for the front bar with an arrow pointing forward, and "Rear" for the rear bar with an arrow pointing forward. Should be on the top towards the middle of each bar.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well that explains it, I didn't climb up there to look on top, figured it would be on the sides or bottom, I'll check it tomarrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

-PROBLEM SOLVED-The front rack was facing the wrong direction, a 2 minute swap and a 10 minute blast on the highway confirmed it. Thank you for the info, Todd:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts