Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the factory roof racks thinking my old Yakima ski racks would fit, wrong. I had the mighty mount system that mounted directly to the factory cross rails of my '98 Jeep GC. Anyone find new mounts to fit the old racks to the new cross bars? Any other suggestions? Trying to aviod buying a whole new system.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jeep sells a different set of cross rails for the ski racks, even they dont use the factory ones for those. I would say you need to take a look and see if they will fit, big oval shaped aluminum made by Thule I think. Not positive on that one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I emailed Yakima in October to see when they would come out with their 'mighty mounts' that wrap around the stock cross bars and present a mounting point for Yakima rack stuff (including ski racks.)

I got an email back eventually saying they were studying the vehicle, which I assume means they're watching to see if the Commander is enough of a sales success to warrant bringing out the mighty mount specifically for it. I sure hope they do; I'd like to use my ski rack and add bike racks for a couple bikes.

There are some ugly generic one-size-fits-all mighty mounts but they're truly unwieldy looking. I suppose they'd work in a pinch but I'm going to wait a while longer to see if Yakima brings out the right stuff.

Otherwise, I'm not so heavily invested in Yakima that I couldn't move right over to Thule...

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth, Thule hasn't come out with a replacement mount for any of the Thule items I have (cargo basket, ski rack, etc.) that will fit the commander. They do have a new multi-fit that wraps around the cross bars. I can't figure out why it's so hard to make a new piece for the cross bars? Simple mold and stamp process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts