Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question - if i add a second set of cross rails to my roof rack, will this increase the load capacity?

e.g. - if the stock rails are rated for 150lb, by adding a second set could i then carry 300lb?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
08XKLimited said:
quick question - if i add a second set of cross rails to my roof rack, will this increase the load capacity?

e.g. - if the stock rails are rated for 150lb, by adding a second set could i then carry 300lb?
I don't think it works that way.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
If the load rating is for the rails themselves, and not for the roof, I think you would increase the carrying capacity by adding rails. You are distributing the weight among 4 supports instead of two. If the situation were reversed and you were taking rails OUT I think everyone would agree that that WOULD decrease the load capacity, right?

However, if we're talking about the roof itself, adding rails won't change much. But, I know they hold over 150 lbs as is. I put a fully loaded topped on that weighed in excess of 250 lbs and moved from Augusta, GA to Missoula, MT without a problem.

I'm no physics major, so I can't say how MUCH additional bars would increase the capacity, but I think it would.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts