Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't inspected this yet, please have a look at the upper (outer) door seal attachment rib rail.

This metal strip attaches along the roof-line inside the door jamb to which the upper outer weatherstrip attaches.

It is put on with screws in the body build phase and is then painted over with body color.

It is also foam sealed in place to guard against water intrusion but this process now looks weak/flawed because I found the pictured rust.

This rust will extend upwards under the roof rack.

If you do not catch it and repair, you will get roof leaks !

Fortunately i caught mine in time.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a creeping crud - bad design

the 5 foot piece of metal that holds the outer weatherstrip is screwed to the roof and sealed with body sealer then painted with final body color.

It appears that either some vibration causes metal-metal rubbing exposing metal, or the body sealer held water and caused the start of it.

Had to remove the metal strip, clean out all the body sealer with a rotating drill mounted brillo wheel - dont use metal - also on the roof side, then prepped the area with permatex rust treatment RT-8a, then start to build up the sealing and painting on both surfaces, then reassemble.

last step, hit it with paint many times.

fortunately, this area is covered by the door when its closed so you cant see the damage or my sloppy paint.

WFH - it wont last forever - lesson learned - - get a southwest car next time and xfer all my good parts onto it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts