Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the roof side rails come off? I would like to remove them so I can paint them and was looking for any tips. What do you guys got?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Does anyone know how the roof side rails come off? I would like to remove them so I can paint them and was looking for any tips. What do you guys got?
Pop the end caps off and see if that doesn't help you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If you remove the end cap you will see a torx screw that holds them to teh roof.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, kinda figured that but just seemed too easy. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
First you need to remove the rear handles that you installed and then remove the front plastic covers, they pull upwards, then you will find I think four screws that mounts the rial on the roof which need to be loosen, after that you will be able to remove the whole rail from the roof.
after that you need to remove the three plastic holes from the rail ,, I think there are two bolts to remove each one.

so after removing all those holes you will have the pure metal part of the roof rail which need to be painted, I think you will be able to do that yourself as you did it with the rear handles.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First you need to remove the rear handles that you installed and then remove the front plastic covers, they pull upwards, then you will find I think four screws that mounts the rial on the roof which need to be loosen, after that you will be able to remove the whole rail from the roof.
after that you need to remove the three plastic holes from the rail ,, I think there are two bolts to remove each one.

so after removing all those holes you will have the pure metal part of the roof rail which need to be painted, I think you will be able to do that yourself as you did it with the rear handles.
Thanks Ahmed, I think I will wait a bit to do this. But now at least I know what's involved (no big deal).

Did you paint the outside face and the inside or just the outside? (visible side)

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
IamJeep, you are probably looking at 10-15 minutes to remove both rails.

Are you going to paint the rails to match your XK or a different color?

If you take the rails off and then put them back on, you probably wont need to paint your roof. Might still be a good idea....but not as
necessary.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IamJeep, you are probably looking at 10-15 minutes to remove both rails.

Are you going to paint the rails to match your XK or a different color?

If you take the rails off and then put them back on, you probably wont need to paint your roof. Might still be a good idea....but not as
necessary.
I plan on painting them the color of my XK.

I'll see how the roof looks after I remove them to see if it needs touch up paint, I plan on putting the rails back up.

I'm going to fab up some low profile cross rails to install a roof basket so, till I do that I will not be removing the factory rails for paint.

If there is interest, I'll do a step by step how-to on the rails and basket.

Thanks cico.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Thanks Ahmed, I think I will wait a bit to do this. But now at least I know what's involved (no big deal).

Did you paint the outside face and the inside or just the outside? (visible side)
since I did it in a paintshop I let them paint all sides ,, in and out. but not necessarily , you can just paint the visible side and let the inside part black.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to see how you fab a basket with lower profile.

OK, I'll take pics and jot down some notes. I won't be actually fabbing up a basket from scratch but, i will use one allready built and modify it a bit. The actual crossbars will be fabbed from scratch, tho. Stay tuned..=D

since I did it in a paintshop I let them paint all sides ,, in and out. but not necessarily , you can just paint the visible side and let the inside part black.
Gotcha, but knowing myself I'll end up painting everything. LOL...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts