Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, will those of you out there with roof racks please let me know how you like them and which kind you have? i really need to change the upper half of the car, it looks just like every other commander out there. i gotta set myself apart, id really like a nice yakima or thule rack system, but unfortunatly they dont make one for the commander...:(
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thule keeps saying they are working on it, I need to mount my ski rack to hold 11' surf rods and short of tying them to existing rack I have no way to carry them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mopar makes one that is very nice. Saw it on a Commander at Camp Jeep this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got my Yakima Load Warrior mounted to the factory crossbars. The Yakima crossbars aren't necessaray, they just do that to make you buy more crap from them. I'll post some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bobby said:
I've got my Yakima Load Warrior mounted to the factory crossbars. The Yakima crossbars aren't necessaray, they just do that to make you buy more crap from them. I'll post some pics this weekend.
Yakima and Thule both have adapters that will work with the factory crossbars, but they don't have near the load capacity or the width if you were to actually use Thule/Yakima load bars. I'm holding out for Thule to get their fit kit done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Yakima MegaWarrior mounts fit the XK Commander perfectly. The rack can be mounted w/ or w/out the extention and can be used w/ SIRUS. You are limited to the maximum capacity of the XK roof rails and the Yakima easily handles this.

Look in the Photo section, I have pics of the Yakima MegaWarrior on the XK w/ close-ups of how clean the factory mounts look. The way mine is mounted works perfectly, it adds no wind noise and doesn't appear to have changed my gas mileage.

XKPearl

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really wanted a rack that looked tough and fit the roof, and the only rack that I liked was the Surco Safari (45"x60"). There are no mounting brackets for the Commander, and I don't have crossbars on mine anyway ($220 is too much to pay Mopar fro two bars), so I made my own brackets. I think the rack looks great - any opinions?
Commander01.jpg

Commander03.jpg
Oh, and I also didn't want to pay over $400 for the push bar to mount an extra set of fog lights, so I fabricated my own brackets for those too.

-emack

·
Registered
114 Posts
Commo love! Can you detail a bit how you anchored the lights on the front of the grille, or are they into the bumper somehow? The Surco Safari is kewl, too!

tnx.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
46 Posts
Haha, thanks. That justifies all the work I did on the brackets. The light bracket is two pieces of 1/4" steel (I wanted to make sure it didn't move) mounted inside the grille on either side of the round supports that you can see looking through the grille. I bent the brackets with an Oxy-Acetylene torch and acually cut the bottoms of two slats on each side so it could fit through (you can't even notice without the bar through it). I just love that you can't see how the lights are mounted.

I have the switch for the PIAAs spliced into the factory fog light power so that they only go on with the low beams. They light the road more than the low beams do!

I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 commander and one of the options included crossbars. I was able to mount the Thule MOAB with the optional extension onto the factory crossbars and it looks great. A bit of a project and a tight fit but it works well. The basket also comes with cross bars you mount on top of the basket so as to mount just about any other thule product.
Good Luck

·
Registered
473 Posts
i see you have a PA inspection and emmissions sticker. where are you located?
i'm about 30 miles north of pittsburgh about 4 miles off the turnpike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm around the Philadelphia area. I hate the yearly inspections in PA. Delaware allows three years and is a lot less expensive.

Go Steelers!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
been through philly a few times on my way to atlantic city.

i love the steelers and have been to quite a few games but they're slackin a little this year.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wish I had your skills... everything looks great... only one suggestion, why don't you paint the bar that holds the lights black so it blends in with the engine, grill, etc... just a suggestion...

Great work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Those lights are JUST what I want! Are they six or seven inchers? Actually, I think I want driving lights (pencil beams for uber-highbeams) rather than more fogs..

Re: painting: is the silver stuff behind the grille the bracket or part of the transmission cooler that's mounted on front of radiator?

If you can, pls post a pic or diagram of your bracketry. Want to make another set?? How much?? thanks in any case for posting the great pics...

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm disappointed in the Steelers this year. Big Ben needs to sit down and make sure he's ready - I 'like the way Batch looked in that first game. I'm on the waiting list for season tickets (10 year list). Should have them in a few more years.

Believe it or not, that IS painted black. Just a bad angle I guess. That and it's painted semi-gloss because that's the only black spray I had. I think flat would look a lot better. I'll have to check that out because now I really notice it.

The lights are 6 inch. They are the PIAA 520s. I got them at www.autoanything.com and paid $200 - they have free shipping. I had a really hard time deciding between the driving and fog. I may end up getting the driving lights and mount them on the roof rack (not sure how I'd run the wiring though because I'm not cutting any holes).

I'll post some pics of the bracket later (I have to take the lights off to pull the grille, but I want to do that anyway to remove the snorkel).

I'd make you a bracket Commo. Materials will cost me about $30 between the gas, steel, bolts, drill bit, grinder disk, primer, paint (gotta use stainless bolts because galvanized are ugly, and the flat bar isn't as cheap as I'd like - I need to find another place to get that) and it'll probably take me a few hours to make the next one (but I have fun doing it so I won't charge much for labor), so I don't know - $50. Not sure how much it would be to ship to Michigan. I'll weigh it when I take it off.

Just let me know if you want one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i guess the good news is they didn't lose this week.:D

with everything ben has been through this summer i guess we should cut him some slack. he'll be back. starting this week.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts