Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Silver Limited 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that the weight limit for the roof rails is 150 lbs. The RTT that I want to buy is 160 lbs. I have not had luck finding an aftermarket upgrade that says it will fit the Commander. Have those with RTTs upgraded their roof rails?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
@isu2815 Please go to your account settings and create a signature that includes your XK's info (year, engine, drive-train, model trim, etc.) Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander Limited QDII
18 Posts
I've seen that the weight limit for the roof rails is 150 lbs. The RTT that I want to buy is 160 lbs. I have not had luck finding an aftermarket upgrade that says it will fit the Commander. Have those with RTTs upgraded their roof rails?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Did you come up with anything? I don't feel confident that the factory rack and crossbars are up to a RTT and my fat butt, so I'm probably going to make my own rails out of UniStrut that fastens to the factory holes on the roof, and then fit a universal platform like a Rhino Pioneer or something similar from ARB.

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
33 Posts
Find a junked Commander or two, and get the cross rails, and add some more weight capability

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you come up with anything? I don't feel confident that the factory rack and crossbars are up to a RTT and my fat butt, so I'm probably going to make my own rails out of UniStrut that fastens to the factory holes on the roof, and then fit a universal platform like a Rhino Pioneer or something similar from ARB.
I made some rails out of unistrut to mount a basket. The spring tabs made for the unistrut fit perfectly into the roof rails. I am thinking about ditching my basket in favor of a platform but haven't had time to plan it out yet.

The thing I don't like about the commanders is that the roof line actually sits higher the the top of the rails. so you will have to use a riser of some sort. I notched, bent, and then welded the unistrut to make it angle up on the sides in order to clear the roof. spacers would be easier I just didn't like the look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the delayed response. I must not have notifications setup so I figured no one responded to my thread.

I am looking at Front Runner rails like the guy installed on the video below and then maybe a Front Runner rack to put the RTT on. I like this guy's setup but wouldn't want the rack to go over the sunroof.

I've read about people reinforcing the bolt attachments of the rails to the roof from under the headliner but know nothing about it yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find a junked Commander or two, and get the cross rails, and add some more weight capability
Everything that I've seen says the rails are the issue, not the crossbars.

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,022 Posts
That Front Runner unit looks sturdy, don't know if others on here have used it. Will be following to see what you decide to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That Front Runner unit looks sturdy, don't know if others on here have used it. Will be following to see what you decide to do.
I ended up finding a RTT that is under 150lbs so just going to mount it to crossbars for now. A rack is likely for the future but going to try out the tent a few times to make sure its something that I'll use before going all in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts