Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those guys are saying that with there 2 inch lift that the tire size should be 265/70 but from what i have gathered that would rub? any suggestions? What all would yall recommend the rough country lift or the rocky-road 2.25 lift?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hi Dustin,

Take a look at this very recently put together guide.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

It appears to me that if you use wheel spacers you will be able to run those tires.
There is also a list of tires that you can run without wheel spacers and avoid rub.

As to which lift, my impression is that the 2" - 2.5" budget lifts are pretty similar and most people like what they have put on. In my case, that was Rusty's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in making my list of things needed for the lift i am looking at going with the rustys 2 inch i like how it comes with shocks and only 250$?

with that i would like to run 265-70-r17
i would need to buy wheel spacers! what size wheel spacers?
is there anything else that i am forgeting that i would need to buy for this to work?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
in making my list of things needed for the lift i am looking at going with the rustys 2 inch i like how it comes with shocks and only 250$?

with that i would like to run 265-70-r17
i would need to buy wheel spacers! what size wheel spacers?
is there anything else that i am forgeting that i would need to buy for this to work?
No, that should do it. I used 1.5 inch from Spydertrax. You can get them from dealers or direct. Here's a link.

http://www.spidertrax.com/2007-Up-JK-Wrangler-Unlimited

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
gp thanks for the help the 255/70 i beleive i am going to go with or would you go with 265/70?
You're welcome.

Regarding tire size, it depends on what your goals are...ground clearance? wider stance? Both?

Stock is 245/65/17 which is 29.5 inches diameter
........... 255/70/17 ....... is 31.0 inches
........... 265/70/17 ....... is 31.6 inches
........... 255/75/17 ....... is 32.0 inches

In my case, I wanted to go as tall as possible and I didn't care about a much wider tread so I went with the 32's and I had to trim the wheel well.

But these are small differences in height. The additional lift that the taller tire gives you is half the diameter increase (the radius). For example the difference in clearance between the 31 and 31.6 is only 0.3 inches.

One advantage of going with the 255/70/17 is that you probably don't need the wheel spacers and that would save you $200. And you could always choose to add them later. And the 255/70's are a nice bump up from stock.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never had to trim anything on a vehicle before and when you say trim the wheel well where would you trim excactly and what would you trim it with?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What I mean is to cut it to give more clearance for the bigger tire. Commanders are notorious for having small wheel wells.

Many of us have done this to eliminate rubbing. The cutting is done at the back side of the front wheel wells. I cut the plastic wheel well liner and hammered down the pinch welds to eliminate the tire rubbing in this area.

I don't think you'll need to cut and hammer etc if you go with the 255/70 or 265/70 but I mentioned it in case you or someone goes with 32's.

If you do this, be carefull when you cut the plastic, there are some things between the plastic and sheet metal wheel wells and you don't want to damage that stuff.

Take a look at my thread when I lifted and installed my 32's.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7086

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks gp for all your help and your jeep is looking great! thats the color of mine minus the hemi edition i have the limited! I am going with the 255/70 and the rocky-road 2.25 lift just for a lil more height! should be doing this within the next month i wil post pics! The cool thing is that in the upstate area of SC i haven't noticed any lifted commanders!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Go get 'em, Dusty!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I know Rusty calls it a 2" lift, but before I bought it I spoke to them and they said that it actually increased it from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4. I think that all the budget lifts are all at around the same height. I'm also went with 255/70/17 because I didn't want to deal with any trimming. Click on the link in the my signature to see pics of the transformation.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
so that rusty's lift is sits higher than the rocky-road 2.25 lift?
I think they all sit about the same. When we got together for the Va Camping Trip, I didn't really notice a big difference between the lifts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so the rusty's 2 inch lift and i will order 255/70 (31 inch tire) will work with no rubbing? Thanks for the help i look forward to ordering and installing with pics

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love my Rough Country lift. I've got pics of the install here somewhere, just search.

Ian

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
so the rusty's 2 inch lift and i will order 255/70 (31 inch tire) will work with no rubbing? Thanks for the help i look forward to ordering and installing with pics
Correct, no rubbing!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I just got the rough country 2" kit in today . Its supposed to level the Jeep out but both front and rear spacers are the same height. How will it level? The spacers are also 1 3/4" , not 2". Sorry if this is old news, but this is my first time modding my Commander.:)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I just got the rough country 2" kit in today . Its supposed to level the Jeep out but both front and rear spacers are the same height. How will it level? The spacers are also 1 3/4" , not 2". Sorry if this is old news, but this is my first time modding my Commander.:)
Even though the front spacers are only 1 3/4", the geometry will cause it to lift higher. I thought the same thing when I had gotten mine so I had actually called Rusty's and asked them about it. They explained it to me and sure enough, they were right.

The back will only lift to the size of the spacer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Even though the front spacers are only 1 3/4", the geometry will cause it to lift higher. I thought the same thing when I had gotten mine so I had actually called Rusty's and asked them about it. They explained it to me and sure enough, they were right.

The back will only lift to the size of the spacer.
Ok , good enough . Thanks. I guess I'll see soon enough.I dont have tires yet, how does it look with the lift and stock tires? I know I'll be changing them eventually, but right now I just dont have the money and I don't know if I can stand to wait to put in the lift.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts